Blog Home

The IRS Address to File Taxes

Posted by on October 18, 2016
Last modified:
The IRS Address to Paper File Taxes by mail

Mailing your tax return to the IRS? Don’t forget the stamp!

It’s 2016 and we are well into the era of e-file. In fact, the vast majority of taxpayers now send their return into the IRS electronically. However, there are some people out there who prefer to kick it old school and snail mail a paper copy of their return to the IRS. Alternately, if you are filing a late return from a prior year, snail mail is the only option.

So after you complete your return and breathe a big sigh of relief, make sure you know where you’re mailing your return. There’s nothing worse than scrambling to find out where to mail your return as the clock ticks down the final hours of the tax season.

Here is a list of each IRS address based on the state where you live.

The list is complete with addresses of the IRS processing centers where you can mail your return whether you include a check or money order.

If you live in…

And are NOT including check or money order

And are including check or money order

Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX 73301

Internal Revenue Service

P.O. Box 1214

Charlotte, NC 28201

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Fresno, CA 93888

Internal Revenue Service

P.O. Box 7704

San Francisco, CA 94120

Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Wisconsin

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Fresno, CA 93888

Internal Revenue Service

P.O. Box 802501

Cincinnati, OH 45280

Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Kansas City, MO 64999

Internal Revenue Service

P.O. Box 931000

Louisville, KY 40293

Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Kansas City, MO 64999

Internal Revenue Service

P.O. Box 37008

Hartford, CT 06176

A foreign country, U.S. possession or territory, or use an APO or FPO address, or file Form 2555, 2555-EZ, or 4563, or are a duel status alien

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX 73301

Internal Revenue Service

P.O. Box 1303

Charlotte, NC 28201

Also, be careful as you drive to the post office! Every year, car crash fatalities actually spike by 6% around Tax Day. Tax Day is actually just as dangerous for drivers as Super Bowl Sunday! So after you’ve correctly addressed your envelope and affixed enough postage, drive safely on your way to the post office. All of this information, and more, can be found on the last page of the IRS’s 1040 Instructions.

Again, don’t forget the stamp…really.

Remember, if you’re filing at the last minute, you need to make sure you stick enough postage to your envelope. If there’s not enough, the post office will return it to you and the IRS will consider it late. Another great thing to include: a return address. You don’t want your return lost in the postal netherworld as IRS penalties and interest pile up on it.


Prepare 2012 taxes in 2015. File today.

Tags: ,

74 Responses to “The IRS Address to File Taxes”

  1. Elizabeth McBride says:

    I owe taxes for this year filing (2012). I would like to know if I can arrange payments and if I can pay off early with out penalty. Also would I be charged interest on said owed amount ($5150.00)?

    • admin says:

      Hi Elizabeth,

      You will have to contact the IRS to see if you can work out a payment plan. Generally you have to demonstrate that you really aren’t able to pay in order for them to grant you a payment plan. I’m not sure what you mean by pay off early, but if you haven’t either paid or worked out an installment plan with them by April 15th you will have to pay penalties and interest.

  2. Edelmira says:

    what part the W2 need to send to IRS if I do by mail.Thank

    • admin says:

      Hi Endelmira,

      You should have gotten an extra copy of your W-2 in the mail and you can just put this in the same envelope with your tax return and keep one of the other copies for your records.

  3. Linda says:

    You can avoid penalty by filing an extention of time to file. but you will accured a small amount of interest.

    • To Linda says:

      Linda, you have to send an estimate of what you owe or you will still owe a penalty. For example, if you estimate you owe $800 and the actual return says $1,000, you will be charged a penalty for the $200 shortage. If you sent nothing with the extension, you owe a penalty on the entire amount.

  4. Ebz says:

    Can I take late returns to my local IRS, or must I mail them to the addresses
    ie Texas?

  5. Yisong Zhu says:

    I moved from IL to FL in March 2013. In 2012, I lived in IL for the whole year. Where shall I mail the 2012 tax return, by using IL residence (2012) or FL residence (now)? Tomorrow is the last day for filing extension. Thanks.

    • admin says:

      Hi Yisong,

      Send it to the address that corresponds to where you live now (and make sure to put your current address on the tax return). Did you know that today is the last day to e-file? You could also try doing that, as it will be much faster and easier.

  6. James says:

    ther is a certain address i need to send my late 2008 return. The IRS gave me the address but i lost it and i cant contact them now because of the SHUT-DOWN. I live in Texas but I remember the address is in Cincinnati Ohio.

  7. Sheila B says:

    Your response to James may have been incorrect if he received a NOTICE from the IRS concerning his 2008 taxes. IRS
    notices are handled differently and they have specific addresses where you need to send the response or information to.

    If he did not receive a NOTICE from the IRS, then your response is correct.

  8. alexa says:

    If i am filing a previous years’ tax returns should I use the addresses I lived at during those years for each return or just my current address?

    • admin says:

      Hi Alexa,

      You should use your current address when you file your taxes. Even if you are filing a prior year tax return, and your address was different during the tax year which that return concerns, you must include your current address, so that the IRS can contact you regarding that tax return in the future.

  9. Patricia Frank says:

    I filed an 2013Tax Extension but did not finish filing for that year. I will probably not owe taxes but is it ok to file through Tax Act now ?? Or do I file directly through IRS site. t

  10. Joann says:

    If I am filing late state and federal returns, do I send them both to the same address?

    • admin says:

      Hi Joann,

      You will be mailing these to separate addresses. For the state one, you will need to check the state’s government website to retrieve the address.

  11. Damaris says:

    The IRS never received my 2012 Return. What is the mailing address?

  12. Rich says:

    I mailed in my 2013 return 2 weeks ago at the same exact time I e-filed my 2014 return. I’m still waiting for my 2014 to be approved on “Where’s my Refund”. But how do I know if the IRS has received my 2013 via mail and how do I track that one? Is there a way without having to call them?

    • admin says:

      Hi Rich,

      Unfortunately, the IRS’ Where’s My Refund tool will only provide you with updates on your current year tax return. To check the status of your prior year tax return, you will need to call the IRS directly. On the bright side, it’s about a month past the deadline so the hold time should be tolerable.

  13. magaly says:

    I need to send a copy of my w-2 I live in the bronx wich address should I mail it , please help me …thanks

    • admin says:

      Hi Magaly,

      No worries! Since you live in New York, you will need to mail your information to the following address:

      Department of the Treasury
      Internal Revenue Service
      P.O. Box 37008
      Kansas City, MO 64999

  14. Princess says:

    I have an question, I mailed in my prior year tax since this year is the deadline back in April 12,the IRS says they still have no received it yet how long it takes its going on 9 weeks

    • admin says:

      Hi Princess,

      It is smart of you to look into this as it could have gotten lost in the mail. If that is the case, then you may want to contact the IRS directly to make sure that they do not have any record of it. If they still have not received it, I suggest mailing another copy of your tax return to them. Be sure to mail it with a tracking number this time. For one, you will have piece of mind that it got to the IRS and it can also serve as a record to the IRS if it happens to get lost in the mail again.

  15. Shay says:

    I live in Baton Rouge, LA and the IRS said my check was mailed out on Friday 6/19. When should I receive it and what state is it coming from. I checked Friday 6/26 and it wasn’t there.

    • admin says:

      Hi Shay,

      Refund checks are mailed from the Department of Treasury office. The headquarters is located in Washington D.C. however there are several branches located throughout the U.S. Your check will most likely be mailed from Texas. Feel free to take a look at the Department of Treasury locations website page.

      • Shay says:

        Thanks for responding. Would you have an estimated delivery date I should get it in the mail. I checked again today and it’s still not here.

  16. Shay says:

    If I live in Baton Rouge and where’s my refund said my check was mailed out on Friday 6 / 19. What day should I receive it or how long does it take? I checked again today 7/1 and no check.

  17. Stephanie says:

    I received a notice for the IRS saying I never filed my 2010 taxes. I got the information and I just filed because I owe $400 for 2014. it showed I would get a refund but I called the IRS and they said it was a lost I wont get anything. I understand keeping what I owe but why cant I get the rest.


    • admin says:

      Hi Stephanie,

      Unfortunately, you are only able to claim a refund up to three years after the deadline date for that tax return to be filed to the IRS. That three year time frame is over for 2010 tax returns.

  18. Stephanie says:

    if you file a prior tax 2010 can the IRS keep it. I called and the lady was so rude she stated it was a lost on my part. I received the notice two weeks ago that I didn’t file 2010.

    • admin says:

      Hi Stephanie,

      Are you asking if the IRS is allowed to withhold your refund for 2010? Unfortunately, they can. You are only able to claim your refund up to three years after the deadline date for that tax year. That said, you should still file your prior year tax returns to ensure that they don’t effect your current and future year tax returns. The IRS is able to withhold a future refund if you didn’t file and pay a prior year tax return.

  19. Lorry says:

    I filed 4 years of back taxes on April 14th to the Kansas City, MO address as indicated above by regular mail. My lawyer has told me that the IRS has no record of them and that my bankruptcy case is in danger of being dismissed if I can’t prove that they were sent. Is there any way to track them down?

    • admin says:

      Hi Lorry,

      You may be in luck if you prepared your late returns with a tax preparer. If you did this online, then there would be a record with the company that you prepared them with. If you prepared these returns with an accountant, they will most definitely have copies kept on file. I suggest getting in touch with the company, preparer or accountant that you used to prepare your returns.

  20. Lori says:

    What address do I send 2016 Federal Tax return to?

    • admin says:

      Hello Lori,

      Where you mail your federal tax return to depends on what state you live in and whether or not you are mailing payment or not. Take a look at the article above to find the address you should be using.

  21. BO says:

    I have to send in my 2013 tax return and need an address, I lived in texas for that year but when I filed them I had moved to Arizona. they were rejected back then and now I have to resend them, I currently live back in texas, what address do I send them to? thanks

  22. Renuka says:

    Hi, I want to know if there is any way I could know that IRS has my current address updated on file? I moved to a new city (within California) on May 2016. I was living at my old address when I filed 2015 tax return (in the month of March 2016). But I moved to a new city after that, and updated my address in USPS, but not IRS. So I am wondering if IRS updated my address or not. Please help me to find out if IRS has my current address or not. I tried calling them, but their automated calls don’t have any options to check my current address with IRS, and I am unable to get through the automated options to directly talk to a representative.

    • admin says:

      Hi Renuka,

      No problem! There are four way to notify the IRS of your new address:
      1. Submit Form 8822 to the IRS.
      2. Use your new address on your tax return when you file.
      3. Send a written statement to the IRS with your full name, old address, new address, SSN. Mail it to address you filed your last return.
      4. Tell the IRS in person or by phone. You’ll be asked to verify your full name, old address, new address, DOB and SSN.

      You can find further guidance on the IRS website page HERE.

  23. Jon says:

    The IRS sent me a letter stating that their records show that me and my son had no health coverage for 2015 and I’ll need to pay a penalty- I have proof that I did throughout the whole year.
    What is the, best, fastest ,method of getting this proof to them and avoid paying this substancial penalty?

    • admin says:

      Hi Jon,

      On the letter, you should see a contact phone number. If you have proof to show that you did have healthcare coverage for 2015, then contact that phone number so that they can let you know how to proceed. Mistakes happen so they will most likely just ask to have the information faxed or emailed to them and for you to disregard the penalty fee.

  24. Anthony says:

    Hoping you could help. I am in the process of closing on a new property for the first time. They told me that I needed to provide my last 2 years of transcripts. I was late on my 15 taxes and sent them via USPS (had to be paper filing, no online option available for late filings) and I tracked –> showed they received the 2/28/17. I called and the IRS rep said the systems showed they received and started processing the 15 tax year I sent on 3/14/17. With that same collections rep, I already set up an installment agreement to pay back my 15 tax return, in advance, hoping that it would accelerate the process so I can get the transcripts for the 15 taxes back asap! Given the timeframes I provided, how long will it be before I can get the dang transcripts? How long does it take for them to process one tax return and move it from a non-processed module to a processed module? My closing is in one week and I was hopeful I would have it by now. IRS said 6 weeks minimum, but it could be sooner…..that would be a disaster!

    I would appreciate any advice you may have. I am probably just at the mercy of the IRS’ slowness on account it is tax season, my filing is old, and I owe on it versus a return (said it was quicker for returns). I did already get an approved installment agreement and letter from the IRS collections rep. I don’t think that will appease the lender and allow closing of this property go through though.

    • admin says:

      When it comes to tax returns, there is no expedited services that the IRS can provide. Even if it has been 6-8 weeks, they may exceed that time frame to process your return if need be at their discretion. All you can do is wait patiently for their correspondence.

  25. Nelson cabrera says:

    Hi ! My name is nelson and i live in florida, i’m affraid that the address i was given by credit karma to send my taxes was wrong and i already sent it,the office i was sent to is located in kansas city,MO ,i also checked the tracking number and the envelope is been there since march 19 , my question is,do they forward the envelope to the proper address or they just dispose of it?

    • admin says:

      Mailing an income tax return to the wrong Internal Revenue Service Center may delay the processing of the return and any refund.
      However, your return should be forwarded to the correct address. More information about misaddressing IRS returns can be found here.

  26. Robert E.Donlon Jr. says:

    Back in the year of 2011-2012 . I never received my taxes.. I was told that my check was sent to “”””””””” They would not tell me the persons name or address, all they told me is that it was filed and sent to “”””””””” Also that it was filed in a joint account. So that year, because this person filed before me and got his check and cashed it. I was not receiving my check Nor did I get anything back that year. I don’t understand or know how this person got my social to file, but he did.How did this person cash a federal check in my name??. And what ever happened to my taxes??

    • admin says:

      In the case of fraud, you will still need to contact the IRS, at this point there is no future information we can provide to you on how you will go about this other than contacting their main hotline. You can also attempt to contact your local IRS office which you can look up online for the best contact information to reach them within your state.

  27. Good job says:

    Good post, keep it up.

  28. Momof2 says:


    I am wondering if I didn’t do taxes one year due to the belief I may have been claimed am I wrong for not filing?
    I was planning on filing because I worked but family believed I did not make enough then.
    I have no letters etc and dealt with lots over a few years then.
    Should I still file if I was expecting a return. Im worried. Will they understand this?

    • admin says:


      It would be in your benefit to file your prior year taxes. You may still file your return us you have been claimed. Just indicate on the website that you were previously claimed on another return.

  29. Aisha says:

    I didnt filed my 2015 taxes, i used Turbo software to complete my taxes but never submitted the taxes. I have a copy saved on my computer, but i want to know can i just send my taxes via mail just as,
    If not what are the instructions?
    Is it too late to file e-file for 2015

    • admin says:

      Hello Aisha,
      Prior year returns cannot be e-filed. The IRS requires you to paper file all prior year tax returns. You can print, sign and paper file your prepared tax return if it is accurate.

  30. Mike says:

    I have a question how to get the cash advance I was on the website and found it saying that you can get it while your waiting. I paid for my return and I don’t know understand why there is no button to do this and show them your DL and bank account records to get the cash advance can some help me. I just signed up for this account everything is going so good and I really could use the cash advance till I get my refund can some one tell me what to do the whole website for doing taxes is great and when I seen that I was like the whole reason why I decided to join this place for all my taxes now if someone could please let me know where to go thanks.

    • admin says:

      Hello Mike,

      I believe you may be referring to our ‘Refund Advance’ product (1-2 Loan which is eventually paid by your IRS tax refund). This is a product that is only available for electronically filing current year returns during the first two months of the annual tax season (Jan-Feb). It is currently unavailable which explains why you are having trouble finding it. However, you may explore the option during the early months of the next tax season. Thank you.

  31. Kimmy says:

    Hello I put in an extension for my taxes I live in Florida, mailed them to Texas, how long do it take for them to receive them, as well as how long do it take to get them back.

    • admin says:

      It’s always best to check within a week’s time with the IRS and your State, to see if they received your return or not. Once you have confirmation that they have your return in their hands, the general waiting time can be up to 6-8 weeks.

  32. May I simply say what a comfort to find somebody who actually understands what they’re talking about on the web. You definitely realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people should look at this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised that you’re not more popular given that you most certainly have the gift.

  33. Eric M Dorrell says:

    I lived in California in 2016 and most of 2017. I am filing my 2016 federal and state taxes now; and will be filing my 2017 shortly.

    Do I send my 2016 federal forms to Austin, Texas as I have moved back to Mississippi October 2017?

    Do I send my 2016 State forms to California or Mississippi?

    I understand I should send my 2017 federal 1040 to Austin, TX because I now reside in MS as of Oct 2017.

    What about the State forms, do I send to MS Dept of Revenue or Franchise Tax Board in Sacramento, CA?

    • admin says:

      Mail your Federal forms to the state you reside in. Mail your state returns to the specified state addresses. Visit the state website for mailing addresses. If you filed with PriorTax, mailing instructions and addresses are provided within the account.

  34. Naveta Kemp says:

    Where do I mail in my tax return if I live in Georgia

  35. Allison says:

    I have a tax return completed by HR Block from 2007 in an office. I live in Massachusetts. 2010 I never filed and need to do this. Penalties have accrued and have not received a return since 2006 due to owing on penalties that are taken of a return I may have received. How can I file a both these returns? Is there a way I can still do my 2010 on line?

    Thank you

    • admin says:

      The IRS requires all taxpayers to physically sign and paper file all prior tax returns. You can use PriorTax to prepare your 2006 taxes online. Create an account, complete each section, submit your account over to us and we will send you a finalized copy.

  36. hb says:

    i filed my 2016 ca state tax through turbo tax, but never mailed it in. im owed a refund. can i still mail it in with my 2017 tax? what steps do i need to take?

    • admin says:

      You wouldn’t mail your 2016 return with your 2017 return. You would simply print, sign, and mail your 2016 return, separately from your 2017 filing.

  37. Tricia says:

    My check was mailed out 3/30. I live on Maui and I was wondering how long it would take to receive it in the mail?

  38. William says:

    Hi, I have my 2016 tax return which I have not yet filed. Do I also send this previous years return to the address below?And mark it with the year in the lower left hand corner? I am due a refund and there is not a check enclosed. I live in Washington state.

    Department of the Treasury
    Internal Revenue Service
    Fresno, CA 93888

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      Hi William,

      Your tax return will have your tax year located on the top of your Form 1040. Be sure to sign the bottom of your tax return located on page two. The address that you will be sending your tax return to is:

      Department of the Treasury
      Internal Revenue Service
      Fresno, CA 93888-0002

  39. says:

    Hello.This article was really fascinating, particularly because
    I was browsing for thoughts on this matter last

  40. Destiny says:

    Hello, I filed my 2015 taxes this year after getting a notice in the mail that I hadnt yet filed. I sent them to a processing center in CA which is what i looked up for my state. Now i am reading that I was suppose to send them to a different address. Should I reprint them and send them to the other address or will they send them to the correct address for me?

Leave a Reply