Blog Home

How To File 2012 Taxes in 2019

Posted by on October 18, 2016
Last modified:
You can file your 2012 taxes late in 2016. Find out how and where to do it online.

Feel like giving up? Take a deep breath: you can still file your late 2012 taxes!

Procrastination happens. Maybe you planned to file your 2012 taxes when they were due, but ended up putting it off until a later date. Now, it’s 2016 and you still haven’t filed your 2012 taxes. Sound familiar? The good news is you can file 2012 taxes with PriorTax. 

Yes, it will be considered late. However, it’s much better to file late, than to never file at all!

If the process of filing your late taxes is causing you mild stress, take a deep breath and simply follow our provided steps.

What are the Steps to File My 2012 Taxes?

If you want to finally get your 2012 taxes filed this year,  the following steps will help;

  1. Create an account with PriorTax. To do so,  select the prior year  from the drop down menu and create a User ID and Password.
  2. Be sure to have any important information on hand, including the past year’s W-2s, social security numbers, etc.
  3. Start filling in the online application. The tax return application is designed  to make filing your taxes a simple and quick process!
  4. Once you’re finished filling in the online application, be sure to submit your information.
  5. Your return will be reviewed by our tax experts and a copy of your completed 2012 return will become available for download.
  6. Print your tax return and mail it to the IRS. This is the most important step. (The deadline to e-file 2012 taxes has passed, explaining why you’ll have to use snail mail.)
  7. Pay your tax due if you have any.
  8. Take another deep breath and realize your late taxes are filed! 


Don’t owe the IRS any tax? Good news, you won’t have to pay any penalties or interest. If the opposite is true and you do owe, you may have to pay a failure-to-file penalty, a failure-to-pay penalty and interest. Considering these penalties increase as time passes, it’s best to file and pay your tax due as soon as possible.

Can I Still Get My 2012 Tax Refund?

The last day to file and claim your 2012 tax refund has passed, which was April 18th, 2016. Due to the IRS’ statute of limitations you are given three years from the tax season’s deadline date to claim your refund.

This, unfortunately, doesn’t give you a free pass. You should still file your late tax returns seeing as they are used for a number of different validation reasons. Just to name a few:

  • applying for a mortgage loan
  • proof of income for a car loan
  • proof of income for financial aid

Use this as a tip for the future. Sooner or later you will have to file your 2012 taxes. Get it out of the way now! If you have any questions while filing your late tax return with PriorTax, our tax experts are available via phone, live chat and email to help you.

Prepare 2012 taxes in 2015. File today.

Tags: , , , , , ,

89 Responses to “How To File 2012 Taxes in 2019”

  1. Emmanuel Swindler says:

    Good post. I will be going through some of these issues as well..

  2. Nicholas says:

    The tax deadline is almost here and i still haven’t filed my 2012 taxes. Do I have to have them in before the April 15th deadline? Or because they are already a year late do I just file them at anytime? If the former is the case how do I get an extension? You’re help is greatly appreciated.

    • admin says:

      Hi Nicholas,
      For 2012 returns, the April 15 deadline does not effect you. Since the 2012 return is already late, it doesn’t really matter when you file (unless you have tax due then your penalties will increase as time passes). Regardless, I suggest filing your taxes sooner rather than later so you can be caught up.

      • Jonathan says:

        I e-filed my 2015 on 03/29/16 and mailed out my w2s from 2014-2012 April 7th. My first refund from 2015 was withheld for some fees against the state. Now I am all caught up I’m waiting on these refunds from these prior years. How much longer will it take? P.s. I went to the post office on 04/02- guy at post office says it will have got there Thursday thAt week… Any ideas?

        • admin says:

          Hi Jonathan,

          This is not too out of the ordinary. Prior year tax returns take a bit longer to process with the IRS and to be issued refunds. This can take up to 8 weeks. If you are still waiting after 8 weeks, I suggest giving the IRS a call for a return status update.

  3. Jhoanna Almonte says:

    I filed for my 2012 taxes this year how long does it take to get the refund back ?

    • admin says:

      Hi Jhonanna,
      Since you need to paper file prior year returns, it will take much longer than e-filing current year taxes. I would guess somewhere around 6-8 weeks.

  4. toi duncan says:

    Is there a way to check the status of your snail mail 2012 returns submitted in 2014?

    • admin says:

      Hi Toi,

      Good question…The IRS “Where’s My Refund?” tool helps filers check the status of their refund for the most recent tax year that they have on file. Therefore, if you filed your 2012 tax return and then filed your 2013 tax return, the refund status of your 2012 return would not be provided and only your 2013 return would be. However, if you still haven’t filed your 2013 return, the information regarding the status of your 2012 will appear. If this is the case, I suggest going to the IRS “Where’s MY Refund?” page.

      Just a side note, it usually takes the IRS about 6 weeks to process an accurately completed past year tax return.

      Best of luck!

  5. ME says:

    Due to health issues, I disnt get 2″12 filed before Oct 15th. I mailed my 2012 Return on the 28th of April. I have 2013 completed and ready to efile. Should I wait until 2012 is commeted befoe submitting 2013?

    • admin says:

      Hi there,
      It depends on your situation. Do you owe taxes for your 2013 return (or do you think you will)? If so, I would suggest filing your 2013 taxes and paying your tax due ASAP. The penalties for the amount of your tax due increase as time passes regardless of having an 2013 extension or not.

      If you are expecting a refund for your 2013 taxes or already paid your 2013 tax due, you can do as you mentioned, hold off on filing your 2013 taxes until the IRS receives your 2012 return that you mailed in, although you do not need to do so.

  6. jenna says:


    Just filed my 2012 taxes with prior tax. I owed money in 2012 ( I know, I know).

    I am getting a refund for 2013. I have an extension for 2013 so I haven’t filed yet. I’m wondering: Should I wait until the IRS has received my 2012 before I filed my 2013?

    They’re gonna take my 2013 refund to pay most of 2012, but I’m just trying to figure out the best order to do this in. If it matters. etc.

    • admin says:

      Hi Jenna,
      It happens…. But hey, thanks for preparing your 2012 taxes with us!

      To answer your question…It depends… Do you owe taxes for your 2013 return (or do you think you will)? If so, I would suggest filing your 2013 taxes and paying your tax due ASAP. Why? Well, the penalties for the amount of your tax due increase as time passes regardless of having an extension or not.

      If you are expecting a refund for your 2013 taxes or already paid your 2013 tax due, you can do as you mentioned, hold off on filing your 2013 taxes until the IRS receives your 2012 return that you mailed in. If you do this, just be sure to file your 2013 taxes before October 15 (the extension deadline).

      If you’re not sure if you have tax due or not for your 2013 return, I would suggest getting started on your 2013 return by logging in to your PriorTax account and selecting “Current Year 2013” from the “Tax Year” drop down menu on the Sign In Page. Then, you can enter all of your information and view the federal estimate of your tax refund or tax due before actually submitting/ paying for the return. Then, once you’re ready to file, you can just log back on, pay and submit!

      Hope that helps! Best of luck!

  7. Arthur says:

    I filed my 2012 taxes on 3/21/2014. Received my state refund on 4/28/2014. It’s 7/5/2014 and I still haven’t received my federal. Anyone else having this sort if luck?

  8. Ash says:

    I didn’t work in all of 2012, and I know it’s not necessary to file. But for the sake of keeping records etc… I was wondering when is the absolute cut off for filing 2012?

    • admin says:

      Hi Ash,

      If you’re getting a refund on your 2012 tax return, you have until April 15, 2016 (October 15, 2016 if you filed for an extension) to file the return before your refund is no longer attainable.

  9. A L Legacy says:

    I filed 2012, and the irs mailed me four letters asking for a -week wait as they were terribly busy. The fifth letter said, ‘we can’t find anything for you here’ {paraphrased}.

    2013, I had a monumental family crisis, followed immediately, in early 2014 by cancer and blah blah blah.

    So, while I worked only minimally in 2013, I got a “Letter on Non-Filing Status” for both 2012 and 2013.

    Now, for the most part, things are back to normal and I’m even more confused by taxes than I was before.

    I want to claim my 2 year-old granchild who was born in late September 2012, but the eic worksheet says that the child does not qualify if not disabled. I’m terribly confused.

    And now it’s time to file 2014, and I am about as lost as a feather in a tsunami in regards to properly filing three years worth of taxes.


  10. greysy says:

    Hi I have a question when I got separeted my ex husbend told me that I never got my w2 forms for 2006_2007 when actually he didnt wanted to give it to me to he hide my w2forms on till know he whent to drop of a bunch of my emails to my moms house and there it was my w2 forms for those years do you thing is supper late for me to file 2006_2007taxes …

    • admin says:

      Hi there,
      When it comes to filing taxes, it’s always better to file late than to never file at all! You should file your late tax return for 2006/2007 as soon as possible. With PriorTax, you can easily prepare these tax returns online. Once you’ve entered all the tax information for the corresponding year, our tax team will prepare your return and make it available for download. After, you’ll simply need to print, sign and mail the returns to the IRS (and if applicable, your state). If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our support team via phone, email or chat! Best of luck!

  11. rob bev says:


    I thought my dad, who usually handled my taxes completed mine in 2012, but it turns out he didn’t. I didn’t owe any money and was expecting a refund, and I saw that I could still file. I completed the return and sent it in 2 day Priority mail to the IRS in March. I didn’t hear anything back for awhile so I checked the tracking number and found out today (April 18th) that it never delivered. With the three year rule, do I have til April 15th, 2016 for my 2012 taxes since they were due on April 15th, 2013 or did I just lose $5k due to the post office? Thanks!

    • admin says:

      Hello Rob,

      No worries! You have until April 15th, 2016 to file and receive your 2012 refund. If you need help completing any other returns, feel free to create an account with us and we will help you out!

  12. Mstwanttoknow says:

    Can I e-file my 2013 taxes and how long does it take to get them back since it’s been two years?

    • admin says:


      Unfortunately, October 15th, 2014 was the absolute last day for you to e-file your 2013 tax return as an individual. That’s because the IRS shuts down their e-file system on this date each year. You can still prepare your 2013 tax return online. You’ll just need to download, print, sign, and mail it to the IRS. Create an account with Priortax today and our tax experts will assist you via free phone, live chat and email support.

  13. Terri says:

    If I filed a late return how can I check to see if they have received it or accepted it since you can’t check online for back years?

    • admin says:

      Hi Terri,

      It can be a frustrating process waiting for a refund, especially if you can’t check the daily status of it!

      When filing prior year tax returns, the IRS advises that you should wait 4-6 weeks before calling them to check the status. Although they do not have an automated tool to assist you, their representatives DO have access to the status of your return on their end. You just want to be sure that you provide them adequate time to begin the process and get your return into their system.

  14. Corbin Norman says:

    I just filed my 2014 taxes. How long will it take to process these. Thanks

    • admin says:

      Hi Corbin,

      You should allow approximately 6 weeks to be updated about an accurately processed tax return from a prior year.

  15. Angela says:

    Hi I was wondering I filled my 2012 taxes an mailed them out 10 days ago an I called them to see if I was approved an when or how does it take I heard 12 weeks is that true? I didn’t do my taxes myself I took them to be done at a tax place but we mailed them out please help thanks Angela….

    • admin says:

      Hi Angela,

      On their website, the IRS states that it takes about 6 weeks for them to process a prior year tax return (given that it is prepared accurately). If you are expecting a refund, you should allow the 6 week time frame before reaching out to the IRS or your tax preparer to look into your refund status.

  16. Coldan says:

    Well I received a cp63 notice I already file my 2015 taxes to find out I was missing a 2012 _2013 as of today I got off the phone with the irs they said my refund will be released for the 2015 and my refund check for 2012_2013 will be mail does anyone know when n how long it takes to get the check for the 2012_2013 since I’m getting direct deposits in 2_4 weeks from now for my 2015?

    • admin says:

      Hi Coldan,

      Although there is no exact time frame that the IRS provides, the general time frame is about 6 weeks when waiting for a tax refund check. It could be more or less.

      • abraham says:

        I filed my 2015 taxes a few weeks ago and received my state refund but never got my federal refund deposited. When I called the IRS they said it was because I never filed my 2011 taxes.

        I calculated and printed my 1040 from 2011 and am ready to mail out. It turns out I am owed a return from 2011. How strict is the 3 year rule that you loose your refund if you dont file?

        and do you need a special type of envelope to mail out your 1040 form?

        • admin says:

          Hi Abraham,

          Unfortunately, the IRS is extremely strict with enforcing the three-year rule on refunds. However, it is still important to submit your return whether or not you have surpassed that time frame (to avoid situations as you mentioned above). You do not need to mail your return in a specific envelope. However, I do highly suggest making sure that the envelope is secure and not transparent.

  17. Gia says:

    I have a question. I claimed my kids 2012 and 2013 but my fiance didn’t file his for those years. This year, can he file his late 2012 and 2013 to claim the kids since he’s filing in 2016? I spoke to a few reps from the IRS and they said that he can as long as it wasn’t the same year we both filed and tried to claim. Please help.

    • admin says:

      Hi Gia,

      Only one exemption per taxpayer/dependent can be claimed per tax year. If you filed your tax returns for 2012 and 2013 claiming your children on those returns and were approved by the IRS, then your fiance cannot file his 2012 and 2013 tax returns claiming those same dependents. I’m assuming that the IRS representative you spoke to misunderstood the issue at hand. If he files for 2012 and 2013, claiming the dependents, then his return will be rejected.

  18. Coldan says:

    I got off the phone with irs hold department and they are going to dd my refund. How ever I like to know this since they already process my 2012_2013 does that mean it’s good to go. Or it can still mean there’s could be an error or need more information? Because I’m confused I thought that they verified your return correctly before they start processing?? Or does that Just mean there going to look over it n still could reject it?

  19. Eva says:

    I claimed my kids year 2012 and 2013 and my fiance didn’t n also he didn’t file his 2012 and 2013. So as of this year we was wondering can he claim the kids for his prior year 2012 and 2013 for this year 2016? Since I claim them before but this is 2016 n he still has his 2012 + 2013 can someone help. N how long does it normally take to receive a refund check for prior year

    • admin says:

      Hi Eva,

      A dependent can only be claimed by one person per tax year. Since you have already claimed your children as dependents for 2012 and 2013 tax returns, your fiance will not be able to. He is still filing returns for 2012 and 2013 even though he is doing it in 2016. If your fiance claims the children that you already claimed as dependents for 2012 and 2013, then his returns will be rejected by the IRS.

      Your fiance can, however, file his 2012 and 2013 tax returns and still claim a refund. He will need to mail his prepared returns into the IRS since e-filing for 2012 and 2013 is no longer available. It should take approximately 6 weeks for the IRS to process these returns.

  20. kristen says:

    I had filled my 2015 taxes and found out I never filed my 2010 return. I owed $248 that year. It has been four weeks since my 2010 started processing. Thursday I was told there was a code stating my 2015 return was waiting to be released. The next person I talked to said it was still processing. I don’t know what to believe. They told me it takes 2-6 weeks with an average of 4 weeks to process past due returns this year. Do you know the average time it takes? The IRS has been no help it changes depending on the person I talk to.

    • admin says:

      Hi Kristen,

      Sorry to hear that the IRS gave you a bit of the run-around on the phone. It takes about 6 weeks for them to process an accurately completed prior year tax return. Unfortunately, this is not a guarantee. I’m assuming that is why you kept receiving different time frames when speaking to the IRS representatives.

  21. LPB says:

    I filed my 2012 taxes in the latter part of January 2016 but was just told that it was rejected by the IRS. It is now after the 3 year deadline and I was owed a refund. What options do I have now? Does the original January 2016 date still apply? Can I send them a correction or update now and still get my refund?

    • admin says:

      Hi LPB,

      You have until April 18th, 2016 to file your 2012 tax return and claim your refund. The three year statute of limitations put in place by the IRS applies from the deadline date (as opposed to the start of season date in January). If you need assistance correcting your rejected return and re-filing with the IRS, you can do this online with us. We offer free customer support if you have any questions or concerns.

  22. Rachel says:

    I am trying to verify something I had been told – that for some tax return filers the due date of April 15 is for receipt of the return not for the postmark; i.e. the return has to be received at the IRS by April 15.

    The reason for this, I was told, is that the April 15 due date officially does apply to the receipt of the return, & that the IRS accepting the postmark of April 15 is just a courtesy & that it is not extended to some filers; I think it may pertain to late returns filed at the 3-year deadline (ex. 2012 returns filed in the year 2016)
    I think it was shown to me in the actual publication (it was awhile ago so I’m not sure…)

    • admin says:

      Hi Rachel,

      This year, the tax deadline (without an extension) was April 18th. This date also applied to 2012 tax refunds being approved by the IRS.

      Aside from that, to answer your initial question, your return must be postmarked by the due date. It does not need to necessarily arrive to the IRS by the deadline date.

  23. Sage2448 says:

    I don’t owe any taxes. I just mailed my 2012 Taxes, and I’m preparing 2013 and 2014 now but I’m not done. 2015 taxes are done should I wait to E-file 2015 or can I go ahead an e-file it.

    • admin says:

      Hi Sage,

      If you are expecting a refund, then you will not be faced with any penalties. It may be in your best interest to wait before submitting your 2015 tax return just in case the other returns end up impacting them in some way. Just keep in mind that you have until October to e-file for 2015. Also, there is a three year statute of limitations in place by the IRS that allows you three years from the April deadline (for that tax year) to claim your tax refund.

  24. JMW says:

    I didn’t file my 2013 taxes. Thank goodness I caught it. Once I complete them will i know what my penalties are if I owe? Or will i have to wait for a letter from the IRS if I owe? know I get a refund back for my 2015 i did an extension because I need file is is better to hold off on filing til I get the 2013 taxes in the system to allow the refund to go towards any balance due?

    • admin says:

      Hi JMW,

      To get a good idea of your tax penalty fees, check out our 2013 Tax Calculator. It’s free and only takes a few minutes. You’ll see your tax due along with your estimated tax penalty breakdown. Typically, taxpayers will wait to file between tax years. However, if you want to get them completed at once, you can still use your 2015 refund to pay your 2013 tax due and penalty fees. You would just need to make a payment instead of the IRS directly taking the amount out of your refund.

  25. Matthew says:

    I sent my prior 2014 Tax Returns in. They received my paperwork on the 15th of April, now I know the deadline is on the 18th. If something maybe a mistake or error is on my paperwork and it’s not noticed until after the 18th, will I have to wait until next year to file or would I just need to correct it, and still get a refund? Thanks..

    • admin says:

      Hi Matthew,

      The April 18th deadline would only apply to you if you owed the IRS. Since you are expecting a tax refund, you can file your tax return up to three years after the deadline and still claim your refund.

  26. Maria Alcala says:

    Hey … I file my taxes from 2013 & 2014 on march 22 2016 & it’s been 10 weeks & still haven’t received nothing .. I’ve been checking on but it says it still being process .. Any number i can call ?

    • admin says:

      Hi Maria,

      For prior year tax returns, processing time can take anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks. Unfortunately, the IRS Where’s My Refund tool will not necessarily update you on prior year returns. It only updates you on the most current tax return that you filed with them. After 6 weeks, the IRS will do a bit more research into the progress of your return if you contact them directly to do so. You can call them directly at 800-829-1040 or try contacting your local IRS office.

  27. Kd says:

    Hi, The irs received my 2012 taxes on april 14. I called recently, and I was told that my 2012 tax form was processed on may 20th. Do you have an idea how long do I have to wait to receive my refund via mail?

    • admin says:

      Hi KD,

      Prior year tax returns typically take anywhere from 8-12 weeks to process and for the IRS to issue refunds. That being said, 12 weeks tends to be the maximum amount of time it takes to receive a refund on a correctly submitted return. The time frame could be shorter.

  28. John says:

    Hi, I received unemployment for the year 2012 and totally forgot about filling. Where do I go to request the proper form in order to file my taxes?The Ira asked me to file a 1040 form but I have no clue how much I received in 2012. How do I get that info

    • admin says:

      Hi John,

      You’ll need to request a 1099G from the IRS. You can typically do this online. However, since this dates back to 2012, the IRS won’t provide access. If you call them, reference the IRS website page which shows that you can request from them directly. You’ll need to do this prior to filing a 1040.

  29. Richard says:

    I filed my 2012 refund on April 18, 2016. I heard from multiple sources including an IRS rep on the phone that this was the deadline due to emancipation day (April 16) falling on a Saturday an April 15 being a Federal holiday. I have not received any written correspondence from the IRS since on this tax year. I recently was in contact with them to discuss a different tax year and though they admitted (both my wife and I heard this) that they received my return April 18th I received word they are denying my refund and reappropriating it to the national debt as it needed to be filed by April 15!

    Do I have any recourse?? Who do I need to write to? I still have received no written correspondence as to why I have not received my refund… Do I need to get a tax lawyer? Call taxpayer advocacy? Any comment/advice is greatly appreciated.

    • admin says:

      Hi Richard,

      You are correct. That deadline was extended to the 18th. As long as you submitted your 2012 tax return by April 18th, you are entitled to claim your tax refund. I would call back and request that they mail you a paper copy of the submission date or have your tax preparer provide you with one. After you have that, they will have a difficult time denying you your refund. The deadline was made very clear by multiple sources but specifically the IRS. Take a look at this IRS website page stating the deadline. It sounds as though you spoke to a representative that wasn’t completely familiar with the 3 year statutory of limitations allowing you to claim your 2012 refund. I highly suggest getting the info mentioned above and then contacting the IRS again to see if things go smoother.

    • Dan says:


      Were you successful in getting your 2012 refund? What did you do to get it?

      EXACTLY the same thing happened to me, including same dates: my 2012 return (with refund due) was postmarked Apr 15, 2016, admittedly received by IRS Apr 18, 2016. They claim they sent me a denial letter in Nov 2016, but I did not receive it. Got nowhere by phone, so I have been corresponding with them (furnishing two IRS Website pages that say Apr 18, 2016) for months and simply keep getting “need more time” letters.

      Thanks for any help you or the admin can provide.

  30. Lynette says:

    I went in to H&R Block to file my taxes in 2014, we finished everything up and mailed it off. Well it was returned to my house and when i saw it i thought it was just my copy and never paid any mind to it, can i still file for those this year or not?

    • admin says:

      Hi Lynette,

      Yes, you can still file your 2014 tax return to the IRS and the sooner, the better. If you expected a refund to be issued, then you can even still claim it as the IRS offers three years from the file due date to do so. If you were expecting to owe the IRS upon filing, then you may have incurred some penalty fees since your return (technically) was never filed.

  31. John b says:

    I requested an extension. It was due 5 to 7 months ago…. i didnt do it because im an idiot and forgot. Im turning it in tomorrow. How long will it take.

    Whats the fastest way. Im willing to pay to expendite the situation.

    I dont need the refund check quick just the paper work.

    Im suppose to get at 1k. Now with the peanalty subtract that.

    • admin says:

      Hi John,

      Good news! When you are owed a refund from the IRS, you will not be penalized for filing late. The failure-to-file penalty only applies if you owe the IRS any tax after filing your return. That being said, if this is a 2012 tax return, you will no longer be able to collect your tax refund from the IRS. The IRS has something called a Statutory of Limitations for collecting tax refunds. This allows taxpayers three years from the return’s original due date to file and collect the refund owed to them. After those three years are up, the IRS keeps your money. Although it seems unfair, there are no exceptions.

      If the return you are asking about it for 2013 or later, you can file today using our online application and get your refund as early as 4 weeks from when you mail your return. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to e-file your return to the IRS anymore. The e-file period closes on the October deadline date each year. Instead, you will print, sign and mail your return to the IRS.

  32. Lowell says:

    The IRS actually denied my refund claim for 2012 taxes because I filed on 4/18/2016. Thank you for posting the March IRS press release above–pretty sure that documentation is all I need to get it overturned and get my refund.

  33. Spaceking says:

    Hi, I have been fighting cancer for the last 4+ years so I couldn’t file any of my taxes. I am now fine (thanks God!). What would you recommend me to do? Thank you!

    • admin says:


      I’m so sorry to hear that but it is great to hear that you are better after four tough years! Although taxes were most likely the last thing on your mind these past few years, it’s important that you are looking into getting caught up. The best thing to do is prepare and file each of your returns in order. You can prepare them all on our site, This includes getting your current year tax return done as well! Our 2016 application launches on January 1st but you can start on your prior years beforehand. All you need to do is create an account and begin entering in your tax information. The information can carry over to the next year as well so you won’t need to repeat your information over and over again. If you should have any questions, you can reach out to our customer support team through phone, live chat or email.

      • Spaceking says:

        Hi, thank you for your kind email. I will use your website.I read above that tax filing for 2012 had been over. Is there anyway I could explain my situation to the tax authorities? Thank you!

        • Spaceking says:

          Hi, thank you for your kind email. I will use your website.I read above that tax filing for 2012 had been over. Is there anyway I could explain my situation to the tax authorities? Thank you

  34. Heather says:

    I have to file my 2012 taxes before I file my 2016 taxes. Do I need to wait until the IRS received my paper files before I file my 2016 taxes since I owe 200 from 2012? Or once I file online it should clear everything up and none of my 2016 taxes will be taken for 2012?

    • admin says:

      Hi Heather,

      Your safest bet is to file your returns in order and wait for an accepted status before filing your current year return. Here’s why. When you do not file a tax return, the IRS uses information already in their system to determine whether you’re at risk for owing taxes. However, the information they have does not take into consideration any deductions you may qualify for or your filing status. This means that if you don’t file a prior year return, the IRS could think you owe tax and deduct it from a more current tax refund when you actually don’t owe at all.

  35. Davidray says:

    OK I waited to late till file my 2012 taxes.. I filed them February 2017 and sent them in.. How long will have to wait until I here anythingabout them

    • admin says:

      Hello David,

      In order to find out the status of your return, you will need to contact the IRS directly by phone at 1-800-829-1040.

  36. Chrisp says:

    I worked my on business 2015 i gave my workers there 1099 and they filed there taxes but i did not i owe in some money. Well 2016 i worked for a company and they took out taxes 1300 and also im filling my 12 year old son can i file 2016 first without 2015 taxes effecting me.

    • admin says:

      You can choose to file your 2016 return before your 2015, however they may not release your current year refund if they request that you file your prior tax year returns. This is determined by the IRS case by case, so it is advised that you file your prior tax year returns to prevent delays for your current and future returns from being processed.

  37. Steph says:

    I received a note I. The mail saying there holding my 2016 federal tax refund because I didn’t file in 2012 will I still get my refund? If I don’t file ?And if I do how long will I wait?

    • admin says:

      If the IRS is requesting that you file your 2012 return, you should do so as soon as possible. You can get started with your 2012 return by entering your information on Once your 2012 return is filed with the IRS, they will proceed to process your 2016 return. The IRS will then determine if they will approve your 2016 refund.

  38. David Michael Jr. Gainey says:

    I have been denied from the IRS because of the 3 year statue of limitation law. I filled my 2011 in 2017. I have received my state check for 2017. Will I receive my 2017 federal check now that I have gotten the denied letter form the IRS??

    • admin says:

      The deadline for 2011 has passed for quite some time. Unfortunately the verdict is final and they will not be releasing your 2011 refund to you as per the letter that you received from them.

  39. Lorine Williams says:

    I just filed 2016 but the IRS Lady said I owe a penalty of 3800 out of 5000 and they going to take it but she said file 2012 so I sent it in she said I only had three weeks left and I mailed it in a week later but reading this saying you only had till April 2016 so they did take the money like she said but will I get the. 2012

    • admin says:

      You only have three years to claim a tax refund for 2012, which the deadline has already passed. However if you are instructed by the IRS to still file your 2012 return, you should go ahead and do so. It seems filing your 2012 could help offset tax obligations in your more recent years. The IRS would be the best person to contact for assistance in this matter.

  40. MARYLOU says:


    • admin says:

      Hello Marylou,

      This happens in many cases and it depends on the IRS. You may contact the IRS to get more details on this matter at 1800-829-1040.

  41. vanessayoung says:


    • admin says:

      If you would like a copy of your returns and have filed with us, a copy should be available for you to download once you have logged into your prior year account on your status page. If however, this does not appear you can also feel free to give us a call for further assistance on this matter.

  42. william torrence says:

    I filed my 2011 and 2012 2014 and 2015 returns in early 2018. I got a FICA statement a month ago and it did not reflfect anything for 2011 or 2012. Why is this?

  43. Kit says:

    I found out too late that my 2012 taxes were never received. I had a copy and was going to mail it in. I had a refund but now it’s too late.I owe the IRS so I guess they won’t even count this money towards back taxes but just “lost” since I did not file in a timely manner? Thank you.

Leave a Reply