Tag: IRS address

Posts Tagged ‘IRS address’

Can I pay my federal taxes with a credit card?

Posted by Manisha Hansraj on September 10, 2018
Last modified: September 18, 2018

Can you pay federal taxes with credit card

The IRS can’t directly accept credit card payments due to tax laws.

However, they can accept payments through a third-party processor. For example, online tax preparation companies are third-party processors since they are designated by a merchant to handle transactions for merchant acquiring banks. They can then assist you in making your credit card payment towards your tax bill to the IRS.

Here’s what you need to be prepared for when you plan on using the credit route.

There are no flat fees when using your credit card.


The IRS Address to File Taxes

Posted by admin on October 18, 2016
Last modified: June 5, 2018

Mailing your tax return to the IRS? Don’t forget the stamp!

It’s 2016 and we are well into the era of e-file. In fact, the vast majority of taxpayers now send their return into the IRS electronically. However, there are some people out there who prefer to kick it old school and snail mail a paper copy of their return to the IRS. Alternately, if you are filing a late return from a prior year, snail mail is the only option.

So after you complete your return and breathe a big sigh of relief, make sure you know where you’re mailing your return. There’s nothing worse than scrambling to find out where to mail your return as the clock ticks down the final hours of the tax season.

Here is a list of each IRS address based on the state where you live.

The list is complete with addresses of the IRS processing centers where you can mail your return whether you include a check or money order. (more…)

Can I Take Late Returns to My Local IRS Office?

Posted by admin on September 13, 2013
Last modified: December 21, 2016

Taxpayer Assistance Centers no longer accept returns for filing. You should mail your late returns to the correct IRS processing center.

There are IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) located all across the country. They can provide you with personal, face-to-face tax assistance if you have a problem that can’t be resolved online or over the phone.

However, you cannot go to a local IRS office with the sole intention of filing your return. The office will not accept it. Instead, they will ask you either to e-file or mail it directly to an IRS Processing Center.

In the old days it used to be that you could turn in a return for filing at one of these local office. But the IRS has seen its budget reduced in recent years and has cut its staff as a result. It’s simply not efficient for the IRS to employ people to do something taxpayers can.

When should you go to a TAC?

I wouldn’t go to a TAC just for general tax advice that could be gotten online or from a tax agent. Taxpayers Assistance Centers are great if you have already attempted to file your tax return and the IRS has rejected it. Or they have found a problem with it and have contacted you for more information. In these cases, visiting a TAC may be the fastest route to resolving the problem. (more…)