There has been a lot of confusion regarding economic stimulus payments.
Many are wondering which tool to choose when they go to the IRS website to track their stimulus payment. There are two tools, the Get My Payment Tool and the Non-Filers Tool. Both tools have different requirements.
Which tool do I use?
The Get My Payment tool is only used to track your stimulus payment after it has already been processed by the IRS. It is also used to confirm whether you are receiving it by direct deposit or mail.
As a reminder, you can only update your direct deposit information if you filed your 2018 or 2019 tax return without it AND the IRS has not yet scheduled your payment.
The Non-Filers Tool is for taxpayers who do not need to file 2018 or 2019 federal income tax returns. Typically, this means you had no income or if your income was less than your filing threshold. (If you are filing single, your income was less than $12,200 or less than $24,000 if you’re married filing jointly)
Who should NOT use the Non-Filers Tool?
In general, anyone who needs to file either a 2018 or 2019 return should not use this tool. Here’s an easy breakdown from the IRS on when you shouldn’t use this tool.
- You already filed a 2019 tax return
- You received your payment already based on your 2018 or 2019 taxes even if you did not receive the full amount (For example, you have a child in 2020 who you did not receive an additional credit for.)
- Someone claims you as a dependent
- Those receiving Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), survivor benefits
- You’re married but will not be using the tool with your spouse. You must file a 2019 or 2018 tax return to receive your payment separate from your spouse.
- You weren’t a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident (green card holder) in 2019. Those who were resident aliens in 2019 because they passed the “substantial presence test” and qualify for the Payment must file a tax return to receive the Payment.
If you use this tool, you are essentially filing a tax return in order to receive your economic stimulus payments. Many taxpayers are unaware of this.
File as soon as possible.
The IRS will use your current year and prior year tax return to deliver your stimulus payment. We advise that you electronically file your 2019 tax return as soon as possible to make sure you receive your economic stimulus payment. Create an account to file now.
Tags: 2018 tax return, 2019 tax season, 2020 tax season, coronavirus stimulus, COVID-19, economic stimulus payment, get my payment tool, IRS payment tool, nonfilers, stimulus check, stimulus check 2020