Did you take the wrong step with your tax return? Don’t be too hard on yourself.
Mistakes happen. If you filed your tax return with incorrect or missing information, the IRS will give you a chance to fix your mishap. Before insisting you 100% need to amend your return, though, take a look at our list of when you should, when you shouldn’t, and other need-to-know info about doing so.
What it is and where to file
1. Another name for an amended tax return is 1040X.
2. If you are amending multiple tax returns at once, you will need a prepared 1040X for each one. They will also need to be mailed in separate envelopes to the IRS.
3. You can prepare your amended tax return with PriorTax whether you filed your original return with us or a different tax preparer.
4. The address to mail your amended tax return is located here.
Fixing Information VS. Adding Additional Information
5. You don’t need to file an amended return for calculation mistakes. The IRS has calculators of their own which will update the information automatically on your return. (more…)