Blog Home

How to Get a Copy of Your W-2 Form for Prior Years

Posted by on October 18, 2016
Last modified:
How to Get a Copy of W-2 Form from Prior Years

Ready to file your tax return but can’t find your W-2 form?

If you realized you lost a prior year W-2, there’s still hope. The process to get a copy of a W-2 can be fairly simple. In order to receive a copy of your prior year W-2, you have three options. After requesting the W-2 , create an account and start preparing your late tax return on Prior Tax.

Option #1: Get your W-2 from previous employer.

The easiest way to get a copy of a lost W-2, is to contact the employer who issued it.  The payroll department of your employer (or former employer) should be saving important tax information, such as W-2s. Ask for the W-2 to be sent to you.  This process is pretty simple and shouldn’t take much time.

Option #2: Get your W-2 from employer’s payroll provider.

Have you asked your employer for your W-2 and noticed that he mentally added the task to the very bottom of his To-Do list? If you know that your employer (or past employer) uses a payroll provider instead of calculating payroll in-office, skip the middleman and give the company a call yourself. When you call, be prepared to verify your SSN or employee number as they may ask for it. While speaking to the payroll provider, you may want to confirm the following:

  • Specify the year of the W-2 form that you need sent to you.
  • Verify the address they have on file for you. This is the address they will mail your W-2 to.
  • Ask how long it will take for them to mail your W-2 form.

Option #3: Get your W-2 from the IRS.

If you only need the federal information that was reported on your W-2 (not an actual copy), then you’ll file form 4506-T to the IRS for free. For state withholding amounts, you will need to contact your state department of revenue.

The box you will need to make sure that is checked off is titled “Form W-2, Form 1099 series, Form 1098 series, or Form 5498 series transcript.” This alternative may be more time-consuming than reaching out to an employer. However, it requires NO hunting down of past employers to get them to spare a nano-second of their time.

What you should know when requesting previous year W-2 forms from the IRS:

  • The IRS keeps copies of past W-2s (and all tax documents under your Social Security Number) from the last 7-10 years.
  • The W-2s are not available from the IRS until one year after they were filed.
  • You will need to fill out Form 4506-T, sign and mail, or fax it to the address/information listed on the form.
  • To get a copy of the Form W-2 or Form 1099 already filed with your return, you must use Form 4506 and request a copy of your return, which includes all attachments. This requires a fee of $50.
  • It may take up to 75 calendar days for the IRS to process your request.

Get started filing your prior year tax return today.

There are several roads available to you for tracking down a copy of your W-2. While contacting your employer is the quickest and cheapest way, the IRS route may be more reliable and less of a burden to you.

Once you receive the copy of the W-2, you can then use the information provided and start filing the prior year tax return. 

Tags: , , , ,

140 Responses to “How to Get a Copy of Your W-2 Form for Prior Years”

  1. Angel Hoskey says:

    I need to get a copy of my 2012 w2, unable to get a response from the employer. Looking to get a new house and the mortgage company requires this form. How do I securely get this document?

    Thank You

  2. Querida says:

    I need a copy of my W-2 or just the amount the state took from from the previous year. Where can I get that from

  3. George says:

    I need a copy of my 2003 tax return, and there is nowhere get it.
    Searched the IRS Website and registered for a transcript and they only have them back to 2004, in my case.
    So, the IRS does not have a copy of my 2003 W-2.
    I met with the State Tax Board and they only have a “Third Party” document (which they refuse to show me), and the NC DOR says it shows the income and no deductions taken out, which is of course completely incorrect and inaccurate.

    If anyone knows how to get one, please let me know. But, also please do not suggest I go to the IRS Website, or The Social Security Administration, or the State Tax Board. I have been to all, and have exhausted those avenues.

    The employer from that year sold the business 8 years ago. So, that avenue is gone.

    The State Tax Board is stating I owe the taxes they already collected but just didn’t credit into the system. They have nothing but a “Third Party” source that only states income and nothing else, and I have no w-2 to prove that the taxes were paid.


    • admin says:

      Hi George,

      Since you have contacted the IRS, the SSA and the State Tax Board, the only other option may be to contact whoever prepared your return for you in hopes that they may possibly have a record for you.

    • Christy says:

      I am in EXACTLY the same situation! my previous company has been sold twice and there are no longer any records of my w-2 from the year 2000. The state of Maryland has estimated I owe them over $14k for state taxes because they say I can’t prove state taxes were withheld from my salary. I have gone to the IRS, The SSA and the State Tax Board as well and have had no luck.

      I just tried contacting the current company to see if by chance, they have information from the previous company, but unfortunately, I came out with the same result. My last ditch effort is to contact ADP in hopes my previous company used them for payroll. I am hoping ADP has the information I need. If so, I will definitely report back. Best of luck. It’s completely frustrating dealing with these government agencies, knowing there HAS to be a copy of my w-2 somewhere and not being able to obtain it.

      • Jessica says:

        Has anyone had any luck with getting their w-2 with this problem?? Same boat.. 2006 w-2 needed for a Texas resident being forced with Lien on my bank account from California, from when I was a military wife. TIA.

        • Debra says:

          Well, I felt i was all alone in this situation of overdue taxes of ancient years. I apparently owe a lot of money to IRS and the Franchise tax board of california for the years of 2003, 2004 and 2005. I called my old job to see if they could send my copies and their business department said they do not hold on to W’2’s from that long a period from employee’s that do not worked their any more. Is that true? Because, this was a nursing facility i worked at and they are still in business. My next question is that I talked with the IRS and Franchise Tax Board about sending me copie’s of my W’2’s from those years and they said they do not have W’2’s from those years because they have nothing to do with keeping employee’s W’2’s for that long a period. Next question, if that’s the case how come they are sending me letters from these years (The Same Years) with to diffent amounts of over $9,000.00 from 2003 and over $7,000.00 for 2004 and that is just IRS need I say more regarding Franchise Tax Board of what I owe them? Because I can. I know about acruing interests on back taxes but how are they informing me of what I owe if they aren”t looking at my w’2’s in which they could send me a copy of so that I can see if I owe them for those years still because I have been moving around a lot due to illness and wanting to be close to family but I also wasn’t at that address anymore to receve those w’2’s I owe. So, is there anyplace that I can write or call for those years of old tax years so that I can start honoring my payments. Which I’m going to have to do anyway to pay them.
          HELP! Debra

          • Ruth says:

            Contact social security 800-772-1213. Very long wait and charge of $86 per year requested but they have all those forms. Just went through this myself. You have to be patient waiting on phone but once you get them on the line they can get you the information for a fee.

          • Dottie says:

            I am having this issue. The state put a lien for 1,900 from 2015. Saying they need my state withholding. I had no clue what was going on until I called they need a copy of w2. So the Social security office can help me to get a w2 is that right. I need to get this taken care of. 😏

          • Tom says:

            I mailed a request to the SSA abouit 5 months ago requesting a copy of my W2 for 2008. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to respond? I was told to be patient, but how would I define “patient”?

  4. joseph carney says:

    i need a copy of my w2 forms can you send me a copy on my email please

    • admin says:

      Hi Joseph,

      As stated in the article, you will need to contact either your employer or the IRS for a copy of your W-2 form. Unfortunately, we do not have access to that information.

    • Michael Dates says:

      Can you please send me a copy of my w2 foam for 2015 and 2014

      • admin says:

        Unfortunately, I cannot obtain your income statements for you. However you can request a transcript of your wages online from the IRS by clicking here.

        • Delica Brown says:

          Can you get a copy from the state

          • admin says:

            If you would like a copy of your state information. You can contact your state department of revenue for your state amounts. We will not be able to obtain this information on your behalf.

    • Piercile Dort says:

      I need a w-2 from for 2015

  5. John says:

    Hello, I got a new job this year and left my old one. I had recently contacted my former employer for this year’s W-2 and he has not sent it to me and it has been over 2 months since I requested it. I have also sworn into the Navy and will be leaving soon which is why I would like to have it early. What can I do if my former employer continues to neglect my request?

    • admin says:

      Hi John,

      If your former employer is refusing to issue you a W2, you can file an IRS substitute W-2 form on your own (Form 4852), using the information from your records. The IRS will then review your information and handle the rest from there.

      You can use this form for any of the missing documents in the title of the form.

  6. nick says:

    Hi, my problem involves me attempting to buy a house, I need a w2 from 2012, only problem is my former employer is refusing to issue one, and after calling the IRS they did no recieve a copy from my former employer, what are my options for retrieving my w2?

  7. Denisha says:

    I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owed about $1, 000 because I did not file 2 of my w2’s from 2012, and they know I received income from these 2 particular jobs. But the person I let file my 2012 taxes is now deceased, and she never got to return me my paper work, so Im lost and do not know what to do…Can someone please give me some insite on this situation. Because if the IRS claims they were not filed can I file them with my 2014 taxes if I call my previous jobs to get copies??? This tax stuff is so confusing to me….

    • admin says:

      Hi Denisha,

      You can file your 2012 return along with your 2014 return. Your employer should be able to provide you with copies of your 2012 W-2 forms. If not, the IRS will have transcripts that you can request right from their website. These transcripts will provide you with the pay information you need to file.

  8. Angie says:

    I understand that you can get a copy of the transcript but is there no way to get a copy of the W-2 from the IRS? Many mortgage companies, will not take the transcript.

    • admin says:

      Hi Angie,

      You will most likely need to contact the employer directly for the W-2. The transcripts will typically suffice but if not, I also suggest contacting the IRS for further instruction on the documents that they can provide to you.

  9. carrie says:

    I haven’t filed my taxes since 2010 and I have worked some every year since but never received any of my w2s. How do I get my w2 for the previous years if I don’t remember every place I worked?

  10. Kourtney says:

    I use to have a different job and different adress , I called them and told them my adress changed so they would send the w2 form to the right place but they can’t change my adress because I no long work their will changingy adress at the post office fix this and what if it is too late ??

    • admin says:

      Hi Kourtney,

      I suggest contacting the post office. They most likely have sent it back to your employer if you no longer live at the old address on file.

  11. Oralia says:

    I found the answer to my question on a previous question. Thanks a bunchs to this site!

  12. runtavious malcom says:

    I was in prision in 2014 and my sister lost my w2 so wat do I do about getting a copy of it now and filing them

    • admin says:


      I suggest contacting the IRS and requesting a transcript. This will provide all information listed on your W-2 that is needed to file a tax return.

  13. Bernadette Hill says:

    please help me get my w2 forms i lost them back in 2012 i really need to get another copy i worked for company called fieldworks for politics getting potions sighned and i lost them in the process of moving so piease help me and thank u have a bless day

    • admin says:

      Hi Bernadette,

      You have two options. You can either contact your employer who may still have a copy with their pay roll department OR you can contact the IRS and request a transcript from that year. A transcript will have any information listed on a W-2 form that is needed to file a tax return.

  14. lisa schlotthauer says:

    I’m helping a friend out .. How do I retrieve w2s. From 2012, 2013, 2014 years can’t remember all places worked and need to file for court ?

    • admin says:

      Hi Lisa,

      The simplest and least expensive route to take would be to contact all past employers for those year. However, there is another way to locate your W-2 information by contacting the IRS. You will need to submit three transcript requests (one for each year). Keep in mind that there is a fee for each W-2 that you request.

  15. Getter Done says:

    Trying to assist in catching up tax filings which as well as I can figure out go back to 2010. Have the W-2 forms and am ready to go but wanted to see if there is a way to confirm that the last filing done was actually for the 2009 tax year…can’t find a copy in any searching that’s been done. A divorce happened and paperwork is askew! Would appreciate any and all help but feel as thought I’d like to have confirmation of last file date before I proceed.

    • admin says:


      Not a problem! What you will need to do is request a transcript on the IRS website. You can choose to view the transcript online or receive a copy by mail. The transcript will show any tax return transactions made for those years along with other pertinent information that may be useful to you before proceeding to file prior year tax returns.

  16. Vicky Kozak says:


    I am helping a friend file back taxes and we need to request W-2’s for 2009-2010-2011. We have the following ones 2012-2013-2014 ready to file at the tax accountant. I see that the IRS charges $57 for each year, but the form 4506 that I printed out says it is $50 for each year. I want to make sure that we send in the correct amount. Also she needs to request 1099’s will the IRS supply all information from those years for that cost?? Please let me know.

    Thank you

    • admin says:

      Hello Vicky,

      When completing any forms for the IRS, you are responsible for the amount due on the most recent year of that form. In your case, it looks like the IRS is only charging $50.00 per request. The transcript that they provide you with will include all income earned by you and reported by your employer. As long as your employer reported the income that you earned on your 1099 form to the IRS, then that amount will be seen on the transcript that you receive.

  17. Paola says:

    Hello, I just received a letter from the IRS saying I have to pay $3,900 in taxes. These are the taxes that my former employer withheld. I called the IRS and they said they never received a W-2 from my former employer. I did receive one, but I lost it and my employer wont send me another. What else can I do?

    • admin says:

      Hi Paola,

      This is a tricky situation as your former employer should be facing penalty fees for not submitting employee W-2 forms on time. The IRS insists that you contact them directly in this case. I suggest digging up any and all pay statements that you can find from when you worked with that employer. This will help your case with the IRS.

  18. krys says:

    my husband may need to verify employment for a company that is no longer in business- he will need this to get the job he’s been offered. how long is it going to take and does it really cost $57? Is it something that the bg company NexisLexis shouln’t be requesting?

    • admin says:

      Hi Krys,

      Many companies will accept a transcript over the actual tax return copy which costs $57. The transcript is free of charge and will arrive by mail within 5-10 days. Yo can visit the IRS transcript page HERE.

  19. Folu says:

    I am about to file for my fiancé and parts of the documents needed at the immigration is my W2 but can’t find my 2013 w2 form.My employer can’t help me with that told me to call the IRS,i see that getting the W2 takes months.Do you know if it’s okay to give immigration office the transcript of just get the W2.

    • admin says:

      Hi Folu,

      In most situations, a transcript from the IRS will be sufficient documentation. After taking a look at the immigration website, an IRS transcript is listed as an acceptable form of documentation referring to you and your spouse. You can apply for a transcript by mail on the IRS website page and it should arrive within 5-10 business days.

  20. Victor says:

    Last year I did not file my taxes I do not have my w2 how do I go about recieveing the w2 so I can file last year taxes

    • admin says:

      Hi Victor,

      The quickest way to retrieve a copy of your W-2 form is to ask your employer or their payroll provider for a reissued statement.

      If that doesn’t work, you can order a copy of your W-2 from the Social Security Administration. They’re free if you need them for a Social Security-related reason; otherwise it’s $37 per W-2.

      You also have the option to retrieve wage and income transcripts from the IRS free of charge. They’re not exactly copies of your W-2, but they contain everything on your W-2 except the state and local information.

  21. Awilda says:

    Hi, how do I go about retrieve my state tax informing from a previous year 2012? I got the transcript from the IRS but it doesn’t have state tax info. I need it to file.
    Thanks in advance.

    • admin says:

      Hi Awilda,

      You can obtain the state information that is reported on a W-2 by going to your state’s revenue agency government website. You didn’t mention which state you need so I will provide New York’s as an example HERE. It may look a bit different depending on your state but they all provide the same basic services. As you will see on the NY site, they now allow you to print your transcript from their site instead of having to wait for it to be mailed to you. This is a fairly new feature so it may not be available for all states. If you had more than one state on your 2012 W2, simply go to the website for each state you need.

  22. seana says:

    I filed my 2015 taxes I got a letter in the mail saying they are holding my taxes because I didnt file in 2013.I dont have the w2s for that and the company well was a telemarketing place they gave me the run around.I just need the info off of my w2s the income and what they took out. How do I get that without paying a arm and leg for it.

    • admin says:

      Hi Seana,

      You can request a copy of your W-2 Form from the Social Security Administration HERE. It is a free service if your reason is Social Security-related and $37 each for unrelated reasons. You can also request a copy of your W-2 form from the IRS for free.

  23. PAULA says:


    • admin says:

      Hi Paula,

      The address to mail your request to the IRS is listed on page 2 of the IRS Form 4506. It depends on which state you live in so be sure to see the address with corresponding state.

  24. Melanie says:

    My boyfriend has not filed his taxes for the past 4 years. He does not have a copy of his w2 and has had several jobs that he cannot even remember where he worked. Is there a database or something that I can find his w2 from previous years? help, I’m overwhelmed! Thanks

    • admin says:

      Hi Melanie,

      As long as your boyfriend’s employer’s submitted W-2 information to the IRS (which they are required to do), then he can call the IRS and they will be able to assist. To contact the correct representatives, he will need to call 800-829-1040 and verify his identity.

  25. Sabrina greene says:

    I just want to get my w-2 forms from 2012 and 2013 so I can file them.

  26. terry says:

    How do i find old tax books and sheet to file? I need the last 10 yrs

    • admin says:

      Hi Terry,

      You can prepare your tax returns dating back to 2005 right from our website. We also offer free phone and livechat support so you can reach out to our tax team if you should have any questions throughout the process.

  27. Brent Andrew Erwin says:

    I am looking for my W2’s for 2012,2013 and 2014. Can you help?

    • admin says:

      Hi Brent,

      If you cannot get in touch with your employer(s) from those years, you can request this information from the IRS by following the instructions in the article above.

  28. Lyn says:

    Hi there,
    My mom and I have been having an issue obtaining a copy of her last year’s w-2. I urgently need it for school. The university has requested several financial documents to verify for financial aid purposes; however I have not been able to obtain a copy of her w-2. We tried talking with her employer, now former employer, but so far we haven’t received anything. Now, at her work, there are new owners/employers and they do not hold a copy of her w-2s. To obtain the copy from the IRS would take several months and and I need a copy of it asap. What else can I try?

    • admin says:

      Hi Lyn,

      You have another option as long as your mother has filed her tax return for last year. You can request a transcript from the IRS via mail or online. There are several different transcript types that you can request and arrive by mail within 5-10 business days. Online versions can be viewed upon submission. You’ll find these options on the IRS website HERE.

  29. Willie says:

    How do I obtain a w-2 from 12 years back. The company is now out of busines

  30. Jessica says:

    Hello, I am in the process of buying a house so I need the last two year w-2 forms . However , I only have year 2015 and 2013 no 2014. Is getting a w-2 form from a previous employer fast ? I need it before two months so I can’t get it from IRS.

    • admin says:

      Hi Jessica,

      The length of time it takes to get a W-2 from an employer depends on what payroll provider they use. It will, however, take less time than it would to receive one from the IRS. In most cases, employers can log into their payroll system online and print it instantly for you.

  31. Robert Smith says:

    I need my employee id number and my state withheld for 2014 to complete my taxs

    • admin says:

      Hi Robert,

      A W-2 form will provide this information to you. I suggest contacting your employer. If they will not provide you with a copy, you can order a transcript following the instructions in the blog post above.

  32. Megan says:

    Help please! I did not file taxes a few years. I tried contacting that employer for my W2s and they do not have them from far back. I need these W2s. Does the gov have them if they were never filed?

    • admin says:

      Hi Megan,

      Employers are required to submit W-2 forms for employees to the IRS at the same time that they issue them to employees. The IRS has access to your W-2 forms even if you did not file your taxes for those years. Follow the instructions discussed in the article above to retrieve copies. You will use forms 4607 or 4607-T.

  33. Charlie Cab says:

    HI ,

    It is my first time filing taxes i worked in california for a while and well I do not know how to file taxes at all. And i have another problem I am currently living out of the US and i want to get my taxes done. But i do not no how to file taxes yet along file them from out of the country. I would like some advice on what i can do please.


    • admin says:

      Hi Charlie,

      You’ve come to the right place! Assuming you have access to the internet, you can file right on our website, Our application is very user-friendly and easy to navigate. We offer free customer support via phone, live chat and email so you will be able to utilize that as well from out of the country. To get started, you will simply create an account with a unique username and password. Keep in mind, that you can begin submitting 2016 returns on our website January 1st, 2017.

  34. Omar says:

    I have not done my W2 in about 6 years how can I get those W-2 to file them this year if that’s even possible

    • admin says:

      Hi Omar,

      The IRS keeps copies of past W-2 forms (and all tax documents under your Social Security Number) from the last 7-10 years so you should be able to retrieve them right from the IRS. Follow the instructions listed under Option #3 above.

  35. david martin says:

    did not file the years from 12,13,and 14 but cant find my w-2s how can I get them not going through my ex-employers?

    • admin says:

      Hi David,

      Speaking with a previous employer can definitely be difficult. Your best bet is to request your W-2 information from the IRS. You can do so by referring to Option #3 above.

  36. Mitchell Gilbert says:

    I lived in Arizona in 2015 and in 2016 I was in Missouri but haven’t received my w2s due to living arrangements and number of companies employed with. please help me

  37. PETER FLOMO says:

    I NEED COPIES OF MY 2010 W2 AND 1099.

    • admin says:

      You can request a transcript of your wages online from the IRS. Click here if you wish to do so. However, the IRS wage transcript does not include your state information. You will be required to contact your state authority for your state amounts.

  38. Roger Cox says:

    I need to get a copy of my 2009 W2 showing state and local tax payments. How can I acquire this info if I’m unable to get this W2 from my former employer?

    • admin says:

      You can request a transcript of your income online from the IRS here. However, the IRS will only provide you with your federal amounts. In order to obtain your State information, please contact your State Department of Revenue. Once you have gathered your federal and state information you can prepare your income tax return at Priortax.

  39. Huong Bui says:

    I need a copy of my 2015 tax return. I did my Tax return online but I forgot print it . Please let me know how to get it. It is very important for me.

  40. Huong Bui says:

    I need a copy of my 2015 tax return. How to get it. Please send me the link

  41. Huong Bui says:

    I need a copy of my 2015 tax return. I did my Tax return online but I forgot print it . Please let me know how to get it. It is very important for me.

  42. Huong Bui says:

    I need a copy of my 2015 tax return

    • admin says:

      If you prepared your income tax return with Priortax, simply log into your 2015 return to download a PDF copy of your return. Else, if you prepared your return with another tax preparer you can request a copy of your return from that tax preparer.

      If you need to obtain a copy of a return that you have already filed with the IRS, you can request a transcript of your return here

  43. Kenneth B Fowler says:

    I need a copy of my 2000 tax return. I am being assessed by the state of Michigan after 17 years. They state they never got a return. I have no records from that far back. I tried the IRS without any success. Any suggestions.

    • admin says:

      It would seem your last resort for documents is to contact your previous employers for income information so that you can prepare a state return for MI. Otherwise, you might have to rely on estimates. Have you considered contacting MI for an income transcript? They must have some record(s) of income under your name if they are assessing you for an un-filed tax return.

  44. Nichole Short says:

    How can I get my employment history from 2009 to 2013 without having to pay for it? I do not remember what jobs I had within these times and I’m needing this information to assist with my medical bills. Please help!

    • admin says:

      You can request your income transcripts from the IRS and the State offices for any information for those income statements that you may have received for those years. Unfortunately, there are no other avenues for you to find this information, so it would be best for you to contact them as soon as possible.

  45. Judy,Rodriguez says:

    How can I get a copy of my taxes for the year 1973,1974,1975 2 collect a pension for AliceCRodriguez

    • admin says:

      Hello Judy,

      It is unlikely that the IRS has tax transcripts going back to these tax years. However, if you have prepared your return with a tax accountant, it is possible to retrieve your tax returns from your preparer.

  46. glenn says:

    I need a copy of my w2s for 1990 through 1992 to find my 401 k can you please tell me how

    • admin says:

      You may either contact the employer who issued you the W-2, or you may retrieve an IRS income transcript of the W-2 information that was reported to the IRS by the employer. You could also contact the broker or company that handled your 401K account. It is very possible neither of these sources keep records that far back. Unfortunately, these are all the options we are aware of.

  47. Abby Kane says:

    How long does a company that does payroll/W-2’s have to keep the information? My boyfriend lost a w-2 in a fire and needs it to receive his FASFA. He called and the company gave him the run around, so should he try again, it was in 2015. He needs it by Sept. 23 and the IRS could take up to three months to get it.

  48. jaquima says:

    trying to get a copy of w2’s for my son from 2015 howerver he didn’t actuall file because he was still in high school how should I go about obtaining a copy.

    • admin says:

      As outline from our blog, you either need to contact the previous employer, contact the payroll department that handled your son’s w2 or speak with the IRS for a transcript of your information. For further information please refer to the blog above.

  49. Susan says:

    My SS account says I had zero income in 2013, so I need to furnish them a W2 from that year. My boss printed out a replacement, but was unable to change the year from the current tax year to 2013. My boss suggested whiting it out and writing over it. Is that a suitable answer?

    • admin says:

      When it comes to any documentation that you are using for your tax filing as well as providing a copy to the IRS when filing your return, it is best to provide and use documents that are not changed or edited in any way. You may need to request an income transcript from the IRS for your federal information and your state offices for your state information.

  50. Edward says:

    I have a company that’s is trying offer a job, they need my W2s for the past 5 years, I’m assuming the 4506-T would work…. whats the fastest way to get this information. The company game me an email and fax # about an hour ago.

    • admin says:

      Currently, the IRS request for Transcripts of your wages online service is unavailable. Therefore, you may have to send your request via mail. Please contact an IRS representative to determine how long this process will take.

  51. Monica says:

    Is their anyway I can a copy of my the whole tax 4506 if I just go to the offices ?

    • admin says:

      If you are in search of your prior tax year income statements, you can request these forms from your previous employers for additional copies.

      However, if you are requesting a copy of your accepted returns, you must file form 4506 with the IRS for the returns to be sent to you by mail.

  52. Thomas S Cardwell says:

    I contacted the IRS, yesterday 2/16, was on hold for approx 30 min..Talking with a very nice lady..Explained my situation of needing my W2s from 2013-2015 from a company that sold out and I was unable to make contact. I provided a fax # to her..received those perfect transcripts 10 minutes later and no charge,, When calling and you get a prompt saying “Did you get a notification letter from the IRS?” Use that one, As I said , you may be on hold for a while, so be patient and don t call on Mondays.

  53. minnie thompson says:

    I never got a copy of my w2 for the year 2017 How do I get a copy mailed to me

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      Hello Minnie,

      You will need to contact your employer to provide you with your W-2 statement or request an income transcript from the IRS in order for you to file your tax return.

  54. Andrea says:

    I have not filed state and federal 2016 & 2017 taxes due to misplaced income statements (W-2s, 1099-Rs’ 1099-Misc, Mortgage Interest, etc). Can I get copies of these reported income documents from the IRS directly, even though I’ve not yet filed? IRS form 4056-T seems to be transcript requests of filed taxes. My taxes are unfiled, so what should I do? Contacting the employers and other payers who issued me these documents is not an option, so I would like to go to IRS and request instead. Thank you!

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      Hello Andrea,

      The IRS can provide you an income transcript of what your employer or any income statement that has been reported to the IRS. In order to request an income transcript, you do not need to have a filed tax return. For example, the federal tax information you will see on a W-2 statement will be provided to you by the IRS since your employer is required to report this information. You may click this IRS link for more information on how to request an income transcript.

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      Hello Andrea,

      The IRS can provide you an income transcript of what your employer or any income statement that has been reported to the IRS. You do not need to have a filed tax return. For example, the federal tax information you will see on a W-2 statement will be provided to you by the IRS since your employer is required to report this information. You may click this IRS link for more information on how to request an income transcript.

  55. Susie c mitchell says:

    how can I look at my w2forms from 2010 to see if I file my daughter as and dependent

    • admin says:

      You will need to contact the IRS for a copy of your prior year return, or tax transcript. You can retrieve this via the link provided from the IRS website.

  56. TERESA HARRIS says:

    need 2016 2017 transscripts and w2s form

    • admin says:

      In order to retrieve this information, it would be best to either contact your previous employers for W2 Form copies or the IRS via this link

  57. TERESA HARRIS says:

    need for bankruptcy thanks for your help

  58. Amanda Knight says:

    Hi i am needing a copy of my 2015 w2 from my last job I’ve tried contacting the company but everything i have got no one and then i even tried to get one online. So i went about signing up and doing what was asked but it shuts down and tells me they can’t finish it and doesn’t tell me what else to do. Can i please get some help thanks

  59. Edward W Eckert says:

    One of my W2s is wrong and it has and is affecting my social security checks.How can I correct that and get the money tha’ts due to me because of the false reporting of the W2 for a given year.PS,my former company is no longer in business so I can’t get a copy from them.What can I do to rite this error?.

  60. Jay Lambert says:

    Can you help me get past year w2

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      You will need to either contact your previous employer, or request an income transcript from the IRS.

  61. Andre Sanders says:

    I need to get 2013 thru 2017 w2s from various employers, I don’t remember jobs I’ve had and I never filed a tax refund because I’m disabled and thought I didn’t have to file so how do I obtain the previous w2s?

  62. Adam Stuck says:

    I need to file a tax return for 2013, but the employer I worked for is now out of business, and I have no clue as to how to contact anyone in charge of payroll for that company to retrieve my W-2s. Since the IRS won’t have these, due to not filing, how can I go about retrieving this information so I can file?

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      The IRS has a system to retrieve W-2 information. Simply, request this information from the IRS by requesting an income transcript. All W-2 statements are reported to the IRS. However, you are only able to obtain federal amounts. In order to obtain any information for state with holdings, contact your state department of revenue.

  63. Haroutyun Gevorkyan says:

    I lost my 1989 and 1990 Tax papers with w-2 forms (also pay stubs). I worked also for the same company in 1992. Company out of business at the end of 1991. IRS has no records but CA Franchise board shows that I filed tax and even I had tax refund for that years. How I can found my payroll accountant. I was in payroll in that company. Also I forgot the Tax preparer name or address for that years.

  64. Thomas Richard DeGraff Jr says:

    I have requested a copy of my W2 from SSA for the tax year 2008 and 2009. I read on internet that these are available going all the way back to 1978. It has been 4 months since I submitted (by snail mail) my request. Has anyone requested previous W2’s from SSA? About how long did it take? I did call a phone number in Maryland and the agent stated that they only provide copies to citizens of the USA that live overseas. Has anyone had any luck with obtaining W2 from SSA?

Leave a Reply