Priortax 9.0 10 1669 877-289-7580 File your current 2018 and prior year federal and state returns going back through 2005 Priortax Logo $ 10 Terrace Ave 11001 Floral Park, New York,
Blog Home

How Do I Find My 2013 E-File PIN?

Posted by on April 2, 2014
Last modified:
How Do I Find My 2013 E-File PIN?

E-file PIN: a 6 digit number located on your 2013 Tax Return. You’ll need this number to e-file your 2014 Tax Return

If you are planning to e-file your 2014 taxes, you’ll need to look back to your 2013 tax return for your personal identification number (PIN) or for your 2013 adjusted gross income (AGI).

Without your PIN or AGI from your 2013 return, you won’t be able to e-file your 2014 return.

3 Ways to Find Your 2013 PIN

If you filed your 2013 taxes, you can obtain your PIN, by doing one of the following;

1. Look at a copy of your 2013 Tax Return: Contact whoever prepared your tax return last year for a copy of your 2013 tax return. From your previous year tax return, you’ll be able to obtain at least one of the following; (If you filed your 2013 taxes with PriorTax, simply sign into your 2013 account or contact us)

    • Your 2013 e-file PIN; If you e-filed last year, you have an e-file PIN. Th
    • Your 2013 AGI; You can use your 2013 AGI on your 2013 taxes in place of your 2012 PIN. If you paper filed your 2013 return, you do not have a 2013 e-file PIN and will need to use this 2013 AGI in place of the PIN.

2. Go to the IRS PIN Website: If you filed a 2013 tax return but can’t (or simply don’t want to) find a copy of the return, you can use the IRS PIN Website which provides previous year filers with their PIN. It’s a useful and easy to use tool.

You’ll simply enter your basic information (name, address, date of birth, social security number), along with your 2013 filing status (single, married filing jointly, etc) . Then, within seconds (or minutes), the IRS website will provide your with your 2012 e-file PIN.

3. Call the IRS: You can call the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040 to obtain your PIN.

What To Do If You Never Filed Taxes Before

You can either enter your 2013 PIN or 2013 AGI  to file your 2014 return.  However, if you never filed before, we recommend to do either of the following;

  • Paper File: This will avoid a lot of confusion. Basically, you can completely prepare your 2014 return on PriorTax, the only difference is you will have to mail your return to the IRS rather than e-filing it.
  • E-File Anyways: If you leave your PIN and AGI lines blank when filing, you can still e-file (and hope for the best). Chances are your return will be rejected by the IRS, but you can try anyway. If it is rejected  (and you e-filed with PriorTax), our team will notify you and guide you on what comes next.
  • Call the IRS: You can call the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040. They might tell you to enter a certain number on your 2014 return.

Whatever your situation may be, if you want to e-file this year, the IRS will want to confirm your identity by requesting your 2013 PIN 

It’s also good to know, if you make a new 5-digit PIN on your 2014 taxes this year, make sure you write it down. Your 2014 PIN will be used when filing your 2015 tax return.

E-file personal identification numbers (PIN) are confusing, but you shouldn’t let that stop you from filing.  If you’re confused about your PIN or have any other tax related issue,  the PriorTax team of tax experts are standing by via phone, e-mail and live-chat to help you!

The 2015 Tax Season began on January 20, 2015. Get your 2014 Taxes out of the way  and e-file today with PriorTax! 

4/2/2014 Photo via on Flickr

2 Responses to “How Do I Find My 2013 E-File PIN?”

  1. lisa says:

    Can I get another efile pin?

Leave a Reply