Blog Home

Filing Taxes in Two States: Working in NY & Living in NJ

Posted by on October 20, 2016
Last modified:
If you're living and working in different states, like living in New Jersey and working in New York City, then plan on filing taxes in two states.

If you’re living and working in different states, plan on filing taxes in two states.

For many, working and living in different states can save you a lot of money. This is especially true if you work in an expensive city like New York City.

The commute from New Jersey to the Big Apple may be much more attractive to you, especially if you’re looking for more space, lower costs and fewer people.

However, you’ll want to keep in mind that those who work and live in different states are required to file taxes in both states.

In other words, you’ll need to file both a New Jersey and New York state tax return.

File a nonresident NY state tax return and a resident NJ state return

If you’re working in a different state than you live in, you’re required tofile:

  • a non-resident state return to the state you work in
  • a resident state return to the state you live in
  • a federal tax return

With that said, if you’re working in New York and living in New Jersey, you’ll need to file two state tax returns:

  • a non-resident return to NY, and
  • a resident return to NJ

As part of the working out of state tax rules, when filing a non-resident tax return you’re only required to report (and be taxed on) the income you earned in the non-resident state.

However, when filing a resident tax return, you’ll need to report all income from all state sources. That means, if you’re a resident of New Jersey and working in New York, you’ll need to report any income received during the tax year on your New Jersey tax return, regardless of what state it came from. As a resident, you’ll also be taxed on this amount.

Wary of double taxation?

Filing taxes in two states is aggravating enough.  If you’re paying taxes in two states and face double taxation, it’s even worse.  However, you’ll be happy to hear there is a state credit for the taxes you paid twice.

If you plan it out correctly when filling out your W-4 form (where you report your number of allowances), and claim a low number of allowances, then when it comes time to file your non-resident NY state tax return, you’ll probably end up receiving a New York State refund. Then, you can use that refund to pay your New Jersey taxes.

Do you work in New York City?

If you commute from NJ to NYC for work, you should keep in mind that as a non-resident of New York, you won’t be required to pay the city tax.

It’s important that your employer knows you’re not a resident of the city so that additional taxes are not being withheld from your paychecks.

It’s also good to keep in mind that New York tax rates are higher than New Jersey tax rates.  Therefore, if you’re thinking of moving closer to your job, you may want to think twice about it. Moving from New Jersey to New York City means you’ll face a city tax and end up paying higher tax rates in general.

Avoid frustrations of filing multiple returns and use PriorTax

Filing multiple state tax returns can seem overwhelming. However, selecting a tax preparation service like PriorTax, will save you aggravation. You’ll get your multiple state tax returns done within minutes!

Why wait any longer? Get your tax return(s) done today with PriorTax! We’re here to help.

Prepare 2012 taxes in 2015. File today.

Tags: , , , ,

176 Responses to “Filing Taxes in Two States: Working in NY & Living in NJ”

  1. Joanna says:

    What if you live and work in NJ, but your company has another office in NYC and you work out of the NYC office every once in a while (once every 1 or 2 weeks)?

    • admin says:

      Hi Joanna,

      The first step that you want to take is contacting your payroll department to see if they withhold New York taxes from your paycheck when you DO work in the alternate office. This information will also be listed in box 15 of your W2 that you receive at the end of the tax year. Once you have this information, you can then determine which tax returns as necessary to file.

      If your company does withhold NY taxes for the days that you do work in that office, then you will file a resident NJ state return along with a non-resident NY state return with the income earned while working in NYC.

      If your company does NOT withhold NY taxes at all, then you can continue to file your NJ state resident return along with your federal tax return, reporting all income earned in both offices.

      • Dan says:

        The previous scenario applies to me as well. I now Live and work primarily in NJ. However my work takes me to NY Sate for work and my employer taxes me as is I am working in NY State.

        The confusing part is I get W-2s that are TOTAL wages, Federal wages, NJ wages, NY wages, and NJ wages as from NJ while working in NY. Is this correct? It is very confusing.

        Can you shed light on this W-2 scenario and which to use for which filing?

        • admin says:

          If you have one W-2 that provides both NY and NJ income the information from NY is not straightforward. NY will provide the total amount of income earned although this is the incorrect income actually earned in NY. Your tax preparer will determine the correct amount of income to be allocated to both NY and NJ.

  2. Isaac says:

    I work and live in New York, but the company I work for is located in NJ. I just noticed they are withholding New Jersey unemployment, disability, state, family leave, wf/swf for each paycheck, but NOT New York State taxes. I have only been working there for 2 months. Should I correct this and how would it be corrected?

    • admin says:

      Hi Isaac,

      You should correct this ASAP with your payroll department. If the amounts withheld are incorrect, you will be able to claim that money back when you file your taxes. You will just report the unjust amount on your return and it will be included with your refund or deducted from your tax amount due.

  3. Erica says:

    What if you live in NJ and work in NY. Should I pay NY or NJ unemployment? My employer has NJ unemployment coming out is that correct? I don’t see NJ disability coming out either, am I entitled to that too?

    Thank you

    • admin says:

      Hi Erica,

      If you work in one state and live in another, you’ll need to file your claim for unemployment benefits with the state where you worked. Your claim will be subject to that state’s regulations and benefit limits.

      • Chris says:

        What if you work half the year in NJ and half in NYC?

        • admin says:

          If you lived and earned income in both NY and NJ, you may want to file a part year return for both states you lived in during 2017, assuming the state(s) collected income tax. Prior-tax expertly handles part-year state returns. Click here to get started today!

  4. Lis says:

    I live in NJ and work as a 1099 in NYC, how much % of my paycheck should I be putting aside for taxes in NJ?

    • admin says:

      Hi Lis,

      In your case, since you receive a 1099-MISC, your home address is considered to be your “business” address. Your best bet would be to take a look at the NJ Tax Rate Schedules to calculate how much tax to withhold from your paychecks on a quarterly basis. If you would like to calculate for the entire year, then you can use the amount you paid in taxes last year to get a close estimate.

      • Lis says:

        Thank you so much. Also, how would I calculate a final percentage to put away per check?. Since I live in NJ, I have to pay NJ, work in NY and have to pay NY…what would estimate is my percentage??. I have been saving 35% of my checks on a separate account. Do you think that would suffice?


        • admin says:

          Hi Again Lis,

          Glad I could help!

          To calculate the amount per check, you want to use the NJ tax tables that i linked above and follow the equation using the row that applies to your filing status and income amount. Once you complete the equation and have an amount in the column, “Your Tax”, divide that amount by the number of pay periods your employer sets for you. Then, do the same with the NY tax tables. Once you have “Your Tax” amount for NY and you’ve divided it by the same amount of pay periods, add those two FINAL amounts together. That is roughly how much you should be putting aside from each paycheck to cover the taxes due.

          It is hard to say if 35% will cover the total tax due because you have not provided your annual income earned. However, follow the steps above and you will calculate a fairly accurate estimate.

  5. Christian says:

    I have a question let’s say I work in ny but I live in nj could my nj accountant be able do both the nj and ny tax return?

    • admin says:

      Hi Christian,

      Your accountant should be able to prepare both state tax returns for NY and NJ. With Priortax, you can prepare your federal return as well as both state tax returns. You can also see your refund amount prior to paying anything with us so I definitely suggest taking a look. If you have any questions, you can contact us directly and speak to one of our tax professionals via phone, email or live chat at no additional cost.

  6. Danielle says:

    Hi! I am a resident of NJ and I was recently offered a job in NYC. I understand that I will be required to pay taxes in both states but I wanted to know if I could somehow get an approximate amount as to how much I’ll be paying in taxes in both states bi-weekly.

    • admin says:

      Hi Danielle,

      To calculate an approximate amount for each state, you will need to check the income tax rates for both New Jersey and New York. When calculating, remember to consider your residency in the equation. Also keep in mind that this will be an estimate amount.

  7. Lesly says:

    I work and live in ny but the company is located in nj. The checks come from nj. Do i have to pay nj taxes? My w-2 states they took out $20 for nj taxes.

    • admin says:

      Hi Lesly,

      You should technically only be having NY income taxes withheld on your paycheck since you physically work and live in NY. I suggest speaking with your payroll department. That being said, you will be able to claim the taxes withheld from NJ back at the end of the financial year by filing a NJ non-resident tax return.

  8. Mary says:

    My company home office is in NYC while I live in NJ; my spouse also works in NJ so 100% of his income would be considered in NJ. I will be in the NYC office once in awhile, similar to the poster above. Does the guidance still apply for someone who is married and files jointly? My position is in sales and my territory is all US. I will be using home office, travelling and possibly other offices.

    • admin says:

      Hi Mary,

      In your situation, you will file a joint federal tax return and a joint NJ state resident tax return. You can file a non-resident NY tax return separately so that your husband is not affected.

  9. Jim says:

    My colleague lived in NYC for about a month (September 2015) and we weren’t informed he moved to NJ (October 2015 to date), until he received his W-2 recently. His new home address in NJ was just updated in our system, but in terms of his taxes from October to December, how should he handle this?

    • admin says:

      Hi Jim,

      He’ll need to file a non resident state tax return for NY and a part-year resident state tax return for NJ. On both of these returns, he will be asked to provide the amount of time he lived and worked in NJ and the time he worked and lived in NY. His tax liability will adjust accordingly or he will receive a credit if he is taxed for being a resident of NY when he actually was not. If he’s not sure how he wants to file his tax return yet, let him know that he can file online with PriorTax and we will sort out all of the forms for NY and NJ so that he doesn’t need to worry about preparing them and being taxed incorrectly.

  10. Kristyn says:

    I live in NJ and work in NYC. My spouse lives and works in NJ. When filing my NYS taxes, do I report only my taxable wages, or do I need to report our total household income?

    • admin says:

      Hi Kristyn,

      If you file a joint tax return, then you would both have the same AGI. However, if you are married filing separately, then your AGI’s would be unique.

  11. ea1402 says:

    I also work in NY and live in NJ. I am planning to claim tax credits for non double taxation. Do I need to submit a copy of my NY State income return along with my NJ return?

    • admin says:

      Hi EA,

      You will not need to submit these returns together. The information on each of them will be sufficient enough and your taxes will adjust accordingly.

  12. Deepa says:


    I live in NJ and my employer is in NJ too. I am working on C2C basis. They have deployed me on client location in NY, so I am working in NY. Which Tax should I be paying ?


    • admin says:

      Hi Deepa,

      If you are physically in NY and earning an income, then you (as a non-resident) are responsible for NY tax on your income starting the day you begin work. Each state is different so if you are deployed to another state, it is important that you check the rules there.

  13. Elena says:

    If I live in NJ but work in NY in a company that is located in NJ, do I have to pay NY taxes too? It is a construction company, so I don’t work in the main office

    • admin says:

      Hi Elena,

      Although state regulations differ slightly, the general rule is that if you are physically working or living in a state than you are responsible for taxes there. That being said, you would be responsible for NY taxes since you are physically working in the state. However, I suggest speaking with your employer further about this.

  14. lynda says:

    I am confused with all this NYC stuff. My husband and I live in NJ He works in NJ but I work in Staten Island. Is SI considered NYC? Can we still file joint or do I just need to file in NY?

    • admin says:

      Hi Lynda,

      Since Staten Island is one of the five boroughs of NYC, it is considered a part of NYC for tax purposes. When filing a joint return, you are required to enter a combined AGI whereas, when filing a separate return, each spouse will enter their own unique AGI. When it comes to living and working in different states than your spouse, I suggest filing a joint federal return to the IRS but separate state returns to each state. This is so that you will not be taxed on a higher combined AGI and so that your spouse will not be liable for NYC/NY taxes.

  15. Ed says:

    What if you live in NYC and work in NJ? How would that work, since NYC taxes are much higher? I assume deductions will be based on NJ taxes and then I’ll need to claim a credit back in order to pay my NYC resident taxes. Is there any penalty in doing so or does it all even out in the end?

    • admin says:

      Hi Ed,

      You will file a resident tax return for NY and a non-resident return for NJ; along with your federal return. Typically, resident states will issue a credit for taxes paid. You will not be double taxed and will receive the credit from NY.

      • Lesley says:

        Hi All
        Quick additional question to this particular case. Since Ed lives in NYC and works in NJ, and will be deducted NJ state taxes, should NYC local resident tax be deducted as well?


        • admin says:

          Hi Lesley,

          NYC residents are responsible for the local city tax. It should be deducted from his pay. If it is not being deducted by his employer, Ed is still liable. When he fills out his resident NY tax return, the calculations will adjust once $0.00 in local city tax is reported.

  16. sm says:


    I live in NJ but I worked half the year in NJ and half the year in NYC. When filing the state returns do I use the income I earned in each state or my total income? Also should I expect to receive a tax credit from NJ or NY?


    • admin says:

      Hi SM,

      For your resident return, you will report all income earned. For your non-resident return, you will report only the income earned in that [non-resident] state. If a tax credit applies, then you would receive one from your resident state. Just be sure to double check the state rules for NJ. New York, in particular, can be pretty tough on non-resident tax.

  17. Ryann says:

    Hi, I only lived in New Jersey a short time (204 days), and I stayed a Florida Resident (a state that has no State Taxes). I worked in New York and Florida. Do I still have to pay New Jersey State Taxes if I was never an official resident and never earned any income there?

  18. priya says:

    Hi ,

    I am very much new to this place. and I live in Jersey City and go for work in NYC- 49 st. My pay check has following denominations:

    NY – Yonkers City Resident
    NY – Yonkers City Nonresident
    NY – City Resident
    Federal Withholding
    Social Security Employee
    Medicare Employee
    NY – Withholding
    NY – Disability Employee.

    Can any one of you help in understanding why I am having these denominations please.

    Thank You in Advance

    • admin says:

      Hi Priya,

      Based on the information you provided above, I suggest speaking with your payroll department. You should not have any NY resident withholding amounts. Come tax time, you may need to file a NY non-resident tax return in order to claim this income back as a refund. It seems as though your employer is not taking your NJ residence into consideration.

  19. Betsy says:

    Hi, what if I work in Nyc Manhattan, but move out of Nyc I the middle of the year? Does it matter if I move out May June or July… Does the benefit of not paying Nyc resident tax change? Regarding taxes, I know I will benefit by not paying Nyc resident tax by living in jersey city. Is there any other benefits or downfalls by moving to jersey city and working in Nyc? Thank you!

    • admin says:

      Hi Betsy,

      You will be responsible for NYC income tax for the time that you live and work in the city. This will be reported on your NY state tax return and federal tax return. After you move to Jersey City, you are then responsible for NY taxes (since you are still physically working and earning an income in NY) and New Jersey resident state taxes. You can check into a more detailed explanation of how NYC income taxes work for the city on the NYC government website.

  20. Lia says:

    Hi! Both my husband and I work in NYC and are planning to move to NJ before the end of the year. When it does come to filing taxes, do we file jointly for NJ state and NY state? or Should we file only Federal and NJ jointly with NY separately? Is there a big difference in taxed amount??

    • admin says:

      Hi Lia,

      Unless there are special circumstances not mentioned in your comment above, I would suggest that you file jointly for federal, NY and NJ tax returns. When you file a joint tax return, you are taxed on a joint adjusted gross income and are both responsible for the combined income (as opposed to independently filing for yourselves). You will benefit more financially if you file a joint tax return so if you are both planning to move to NJ, then that would be the best option; tax-wise.

  21. Chrisna says:

    How much do I have to pay taxes as a NY nonresident if I earned 10550 only in 2015?I file for married filing separately.

  22. Nam says:

    I live in NJ and work in NYC. I recently got my first pay statement and they taxed me NYC income tax but Zero for NJ income tax. Is this correct?

    Another question is: what is “New York voluntary disability” in the voluntary deductions section?


    • admin says:

      Hi Nam,

      You should speak to your payroll department about this. However, if they continue to tax you for NY, you will just need to file a non-resident state tax return for NY and a resident state tax return for NJ. The tax will be adjusted and you will receive a refund for the NY tax you paid but you will owe the NJ tax that was not withheld from your paychecks.

      Here is more information on the NY Voluntary disability that you are seeing on your pay stubs.

  23. Justine Marie says:

    I just recently move to New Jersey and I work in New York, Do I have to pay both NY and NJ taxes?

    • admin says:

      Hi Justine,

      You will be credited by your resident state after filing your tax return if taxes were withheld by your employer for New York. You will just need to file a NJ state resident return and a NY state nonresident return; along with your federal tax return.

  24. Mabel says:

    I live in NY and considering a new job in NJ. Aside from transportation costs, should I be negotiating a higher salary to compensate for the NJ non-resident taxes I will have to pay? How do I figure out that amount or tax rate?

    • admin says:

      Hi Mabel,

      I would suggest taking into consideration any city taxes you may be subject to. You mentioned that you live in NY. If you are subject to the NY city tax, then that could run you a bit high. When it comes to state taxes, typically, you will receive a tax back from your resident state for taxes paid to the non-resident state that you work in.

  25. PATEL says:

    I live in NJ.

    I have worked in NJ up until now and will be working in Harlem, NY (new job and employer is from NY) by 3rd week of Oct 2016.

    When I start getting paid, will the pay-stub deduct for NY and NJ or just NY?

    Please advise.


    • admin says:

      Hi Patel,

      You are liable for state taxes where you physically work and live. In your case, you are responsible for paying tax to NY and NJ. That being said, I suggest speaking with your payroll department to see if they will withhold taxes for both. If so, you will be able to claim a credit for the tax paid to the non-resident state. To do this, you will need to file a resident return to NJ and a nonresident return to NY.

  26. JQ says:

    I live in NJ and just started a new job in NYC. Do I need to fill out a W4 for NJ? I already filled out the non-resident NY form and federal w4. Appreciate your help!


    • admin says:

      Hi JQ,

      I suggest speaking with your employer or HR department about this as it is not common for employees to complete W-4 forms for their state withholding. Typically, employers will withhold taxes from the state they are located in; the state you are working in.

  27. Beau says:

    I live in NJ and work in NYC. Do I have to fill out a NJ State tax form to have NJ State taxes withheld also?

    • admin says:

      Hi Beau,

      Taxpayers are responsible for taxes in the state where they reside and the state where they physically work to earn an income. In your case, you would file a NJ resident state tax return and a NY nonresident state tax return along with your federal tax return. Typically, the resident state will credit the taxpayer for the nonresident tax paid. However, this differs from state to state.

  28. Mark says:

    I live in NJ and work in NY. I officially work out of my home 2 days a week. I would obviously like to file in NJ and their benefits are higher? Am I able to do that? Thanks.

    • admin says:

      Hi Mark,

      Taxpayers are responsible for income taxes in the state where they reside and the state where they physically work for an income. In your situation, you would file a resident state return for NJ and a nonresident state tax return for NY. Typically, the taxpayer’s resident state will issue a credit for the tax paid to the nonresident state. This tends to differ slightly from state to state.

      • Chris says:

        So can Mark consider 2 days a week of income to be earned in NJ?

        • admin says:

          What is important is not the amount of time worked in a given time frame, but the amount earned for the year in NJ. You may check the NJ Division of Taxation website to determine if you would be required to file based on this amount that was earned in NJ.

  29. Mary Anne Polson says:

    With my past company (Company was based in Tx and my home state is CA) I used to work in several states for weeks at a time and I never got a W2 for a different state in 29 years.

    With my NEW company, (Based in MA) I worked in New Jersey for a total of 3 weeks in 2016 and got a W2 for New Jersey. No one can seem to explain to me why…

    • admin says:

      Hi Mary Anne,

      Each employer could withhold taxes differently based on their employees and where they are headquartered. For some states, you start owing income tax the moment you begin physically working in the state. In your case, you would file a nonresident return for NJ. This would hold you accountable for NJ income tax for ONLY those three weeks that you worked in the state. This would be in addition to filing your resident state tax return and federal return.

  30. Nike says:

    I lived in NJ from Aug 2015 to Dec 2015 but my employer mistakenly taken my location as NY and reported my taxes there. Later on when on reporting the discrepancy with my location they have provided me corrected w2 as NJ and i have filed my tax return . But I didnt receive my state tax refund and on inquiry NJ tax dept officer told me that tax amount is still withholding with NY tax depart and that need to transfer first from NY to NJ tax department . He asked me to talk to NY tax dept and let them understand my case . Would appreciate any help regarding my case!

    • admin says:

      I advise you follow the direct instructions from the State Tax officer that suggested you contact the NY tax authorities to rectify your tax situation.

  31. Michael says:


    I live in NJ and work in NJ, but the company is based in NY. I work on-site at a 3rd party distribution center. I have my W-2s and box 15 states NY. Based on what I read I would need to file NJ residence and NY non-residence returns, correct? Is the company going about it correct, or should they be taxing me differently that I should contact payroll department?

    • admin says:

      It would be best to file a resident NJ return and a Non-Resident NY return in order to receive a resident credit from NJ for taxes paid to your other jurisdiction (NY). This is done to avoid being double taxed. Priortax accurately handles full year and nonresident state returns. Click here to get started. It appears that you were correctly taxed based on your employment arrangements.

  32. alicia says:

    My spouse and I live in NJ and my spouse works in NY. However, I worked 11 months in NY and 1 month in NJ. Can you explain the best way to file jointly/separate for federal and state taxes NY/NJ?

    • admin says:

      It would be best to file a resident NJ return and a Non-Resident NY return in order to receive a resident credit from NJ for taxes paid to your other jurisdiction (NY). Priortax accurately handles full year and nonresident state returns. Click here to get started. Based on your tax situation, you may benefit most from filing a joint return.

  33. Pam says:

    My husband lives in nj and company is bases in nj as well. Most the work he does is in nyc he recieved two w2s but ny only took out $2.50 for tax which makes no sense. Can we just not file that since we pay nj taxes and live in nj? So cunfussing

    • admin says:

      Your husband may want to file a resident NJ return and a Non-resident NY return. Although, only $2.50 in taxes were with-held by NY, he may owe NY taxes. He must determine if his gross NY income falls within the “required to file” threshold for the tax year in question.

  34. Billy says:

    Live in NJ; work in NY. It seems that my alimony deduction doesn’t carry over to NJ. So I get no credit for alimony? does that make sense?

  35. Kyle Murphy says:

    If you live in NJ, work in NYC but you’re only paying NJ taxes (according to your pay stub) do you still need to file with NY?

    • admin says:

      Hello Kyle,

      You are required to file a resident state return for NJ and a non-resident state return for NY since you are earning income in NY. Those who work and live in different states are required to file taxes in both states. As a non-resident of New York, you won’t be required to pay the city tax, but the bottom line is, you will need to file state returns for both states. Prior Tax will allow you to file for both returns, and makes it easy to select your resident and non-resident returns without confusion.

  36. ebenezer says:

    i live in NYC and Work in NJ. My Tax prepare just told me i need to talk to my payroll department to start withholding NYC Tax even though the company is withholding NJ taxes.

    • admin says:

      Hello Ebenezer,

      NYC will tax all sources of income, regardless of the state you are earning it in. However, no need to panic, there is a state credit for the taxes you paid twice. To ensure that you are not being double-taxed, there is an allocation of a non-refundable residential credit that is placed onto your NY resident return from your non-resident return for NJ. To receive a refund or lower tax liability depends on how much you are being taxed on for NJ. Prior Tax accurately prepares resident and non-resident returns with necessary credits to avoid double taxation. Get started today!

  37. Jamie says:

    Hi there,

    I live in NY but worked in NJ last year. My employer sends me a W2 that is for NY State Filing Copy and Federal Filing Copy. I am trying to fill this out carefully online but it gets confusing when it comes to box 15-20. For instance on my NY State copy box 15 has NY for the NY state copy but has total state for the federal copy, 16 has the wages I made for the NY state copy and its not filled out for the federal copy, 17 has two different numbers on both copies, 18 and 19 are the same but for 20 the federal copy is blank and the ny state copy has NYC res. How do you insert this online so it doesn’t come out weird?

    • admin says:

      Hello Jamie,

      If it is for the same employer, enter your federal W-2 entries in the first section of boxes 15-20 and the state entries on the second section of boxes 15-20. These entries will be on two different sections of your W-2. If you are still having difficulty and have further questions please contact our customer support team.

      • Felicia says:

        Good Morning,

        I’m just filing my 2014 taxes andI worked full-time in NYC and also had a part-time job in NJ at the time.. I live in NJ. Do I include the wages earned in NJ on the NY State IT-203 in the Federal column?

        • admin says:

          Hello Felicia,

          You only need to include your NY source income on your Non-Resident NY Return. Therefore, you do not need to include your NJ source income (Unless your NJ company includes NY information on the income statement, For Ex: Boxes 15-20 of your W-2)

  38. E.J.R. says:

    I live in NNJ but worked in Rockland County, NYS, the first two weeks of Dec. 2015, and three Saturdays, in February 2016: Therefore, I made $670.00 working for Rockland Community College, Suffern, NY. Obviously, what I made is well under the threshold of reporting income to NYS.

    It was suggested that I fill-out two NJ Income Tax Returns: one, for income earned in NJ, and one, for income earned in NYS. Is this suggestion correct? And, if so, what tax benefit, if any, I shall receive?

    • admin says:

      You will not need to file two NJ state returns. Since you have earned income in NY, you will be able to file a non-resident state return to receive your state withholding at the end of the tax year. As long as you are subjected to NY income tax, you can file a non-resident state return.

  39. Emmett Swan says:


    I work in NY but live in NJ. I know that the tax rate for NY is higher than NJ. I also read that New Jersey residents employed totally outside of New Jersey in a state that withholds state tax from the wages of those residents, must have the difference between the New Jersey tax and the other state’s tax withheld and paid to New Jersey. Does this mean if NY is 10% and NJ is 8% I need to pay NJ the difference of 2% or does it mean since NY is higher than NJ no NJ tax is required?

    • admin says:

      When it comes to non-resident and full year resident returns, the non-resident return typically is the state that does all the taxing on the income earned there. As to how you ensure that you are not being double-taxed, there is an allocation of a non-refundable residential credit that is placed onto your NJ full year return from your non resident return with NY. Depending on how much NY has taxed you, you may not have a liability with Jersey, however if they have taxed too little, you may end up owing a smaller amount.

  40. Trevor says:


    We have an LLC in NJ and have registered as a Foreign business in NY. We sell Window Fashions to homes and businesses. Much of our business is done in NYC. We currently pay Sales Tax to NY and NJ for sales done in each state.

    Do we have to file Income Tax Returns in NY or only in NJ?

    • admin says:

      You would very likely have to file returns in both states since business was conducted in both states.

  41. Jenna Hu says:

    I live in NJ and work in NYC office of my company which headquarters is in NJ. My W-2 is from NJ . Do I have to pay NY state tax?

    • admin says:

      The location of your employer’s corporate headquarters has no bearing on your state income taxes, unless you have actually worked in that state. Since you worked in NY and lived in NJ, you may want to prepare a resident NJ return and a Non-resident NY return. Prior-tax accurately handles resident and non-resident returns. Click here to get started today!

  42. olya says:

    Hi I live in NJ and work in NY. Also I have 1099-MISC from New York.
    Should I Include dividend income, business income or loss, capital gain or loss, student loan, moving expenses and one-helf of self-employment tax in NY nonresident adjustment?

    • admin says:

      Generally, your federal information flows over to your state return. Priortax handles the allocation of income for resident and nonresident returns. To ensure your returns are accurately prepared you can start by clicking here.

  43. paku says:

    I am working in nyc and living in nj. My wife is full time working in nj and livinin nj with me. I have commuter benefit $255 (monthly), $3060 annually in 2016. Is this commuter benefit exempt form federal taxes and ny state taxes as well as nj state taxes also? Or do i have to show $3060 amount in tax return of federal and ny state and nj state? Please clarify how should I file tax return? Married file separately or jointly return. By the way we live together in the same house.

    • admin says:

      Employees do not pay income tax on the amount they have taken from their salary towards their commuter benefit. These deductions are made throughout the year by your employer on a pre-tax basis and it lowers your taxable wages. You do not have to report your annual commuter benefits ($3060) as taxable income. Therefore, receiving commuter benefits and filing a joint return with your spouse will not affect your refund.

  44. Abel says:

    My company`s physical address is In NJ but the was work is in NYC and I am a NYC resident. I did not earn any income in NJ and I did not pay any tax to NJ state. Do i have to file non resident tax return to NJ because of my company`s physical address?

    • admin says:

      Generally you would only need to file taxes in your resident state if that is where you earned all of your income. The fact that the company that pays you is in a different state is not generally an issue. If your W-2 form listed taxes paid to a state other than your resident state, then you’ll need to also file a non-resident tax return to the state listed. Since you have mentioned that you did not pay any taxes to NJ, neither did you work in that state, then you do not have to file a non-resident NJ return.

  45. DAbel says:

    my company`s physical address in NJ but the work was in NYC and I am NYC resident. And i did not earn any income in NJ and I did not pay any tax to NJ i have to file non resident tax return or pay tax to NJ because of my company`s physical address?

    • admin says:

      Generally you would only need to file taxes in your resident state if that is where you earned all of your
      income. The fact that the company that pays you is in a different state is not generally an issue. If your
      W-2 form listed taxes paid to a state other than your resident state, then you’ll need to also file a non-
      resident tax return to the state listed. Since you have mentioned that you did not pay any taxed to NJ,
      neither did you work in that state, then you do not have to prepare a non-resident NJ return.

  46. Joan says:


    I live in NJ and have been working in NY since Fall 2016. Only NY has been withholding taxes from my paychecks, not NJ. I am trying to file taxes in both states & I owe NJ a lot but I am not getting much back from NY to cover it. I have worked in NY in the past and had both state taxes withheld but my current employer is stating only NY is being withheld because it is the higher taxed state, is this right? Also, what can I do so that they start taking NJ state taxes out of my paychecks-I am single with no dependents. Thank you

    • admin says:

      You can ask your employer to withhold taxes for your resident state. If they can’t or won’t do so, it would be best to make quarterly estimated payments to your resident state or risk underpayment penalties come tax time.

  47. Nikki says:

    I live in NJ. Our office was located in NYC before May 2016 but then it moved to Jersey City.

    In Federal & Local Taxes part (Box 15), do i need to split my annual income into 7/12 for NJ and 5/12 for NY?

    Or do i need to report all income in NJ but 5/12 for NY?

    • admin says:

      If you were a resident of NJ for the entire year, but you worked in NY it would be best to file a Non-resident NY return in order to receive a credit from NJ for taxes paid to NY. You can choose to prepare your taxes at and a tax professional will correctly allocate your income based on your State information reported in box 15-20 of your W-2 income statement(s).

  48. Reggie Mariani says:

    I lived part year in Pa and worked in Pa during that time. I moved to New Jersey in June and began working in New York. The employer either New York tax. I think I must file a PA return as part-year resident and only report my Pa earnings? File a New York non-resident form IT203 showing only my New York income and getting credit for taxes owed to New Jersey? File a New Jersey return and having a liability for taxes not paid. Am I correct?

    • admin says:

      What you have already outlined is typically how you should file, however with 2 part years and one non-resident, it can be a bit confusing. Whether NJ allows you to take the resident credit as a part-year resident for income taxes paid to New York as a non-resident, you will need to have determined for you. Otherwise you may need to pay taxes to both NJ and NY if no credit allocation exists.

  49. Laurence says:

    My company is in NY. I am living in NJ. The company send me to client in Chicago 4 days a week. I work from home one day a week. I received two w2 forms from the company. one is for NY state which indicate state income tax withholding. one is for NJ. there is no withholding for state tax. How I should file NY state tax return? I received the W2 for whole year for NY. but acturlly I only worked three month. Please let me know what I should do? Thanks.

    • admin says:

      You will need to file a full year resident return for NJ and a Non-Resident return for NY. Filing your NY Non-Resident return will allow you to claim a credit from NJ for taxes paid to NY. This will avoid you from being double taxed.

      This article provides you with a clear explanation of filing a Non-Resident return along with a Full year resident return. Filing Taxes in Two States: Working in NY & Living in NJ

  50. Jing says:


    My spouse and I live in NJ and my job moved from NJ to NY in the mid of the year, my spouse works in NJ so 100% income is from NJ. What filing status will be the best for us to file Federal, NJ (resident) and NY (non-resident)? Thank you.

    • admin says:

      Though filing jointly usually gets you a bigger refund or a lower tax bill, it might be to your advantage to file separately based on your specific tax situation. For instance, if your spouse owe unpaid taxes or child support, filing a joint tax return may result in the IRS offsetting your refund to pay the outstanding tax bill. However, the IRS encourages most couples to file joint tax returns by extending several tax breaks such as granting the largest standard deductions for joint returns.

  51. NJBetty says:

    I live in NJ but worked in NYC about 50% of year, the rest I travelled or worked remote. What’s the threshold for needing to file NY state or city taxes and would I need to pay taxes for only the days that I work/earn in NYC? I also have real estate investments in other states, will I be taxed on those by NY state?

    • admin says:

      Your resident state has taxing authority over all income you receive. You can receive a resident credit from your home state for taxes paid to other states. You will have to refer to the state’s filing requirements to determine if you are required to file a tax return in a state as a non-resident.

  52. Sam says:

    I’m very confused with the taxes this year. I was living in NYC until Sept ’16, then moved to NJ. I was also working in multiple cities (Chicago & LA) throughout the year, totalling more than 180 days. What taxes should i be filing? and should i be entitled to all of my NYC city tax back?

    • admin says:

      You may be required to file part year returns for the states you lived in and non-resident returns for the states you earned income in. Please check boxes 15-20 to determine the states that withheld taxes from your pay. Filing returns for these states may award you a refund for part or in some ceases all of your state with-holdings (the same applies to NY local taxes).

  53. Mirana says:

    My spouse and I live in NJ. He works in NYC, I work in NJ. His W-2 from NYC lists only NY state taxable income. It does not list taxable income for NJ. The NY company says they do not calculate the NJ income for tax purposes. How do I calculate the NJ taxable income? I know that I have to add FSA amount, since it is not deductible in NJ. What about medical and dental insurance? Transit, 401(k)? Thanks,

    • admin says:

      You will be required to prepare a resident return for NJ and a Non-resident return for NY. Prior tax expertly handles resident and non-resident returns. Click here to get started today!

  54. Ernesto says:

    I had a NY address from Jan-April 2017 and did my w-4 with NY. I lived in a NJ hotel during that time while working in NJ. I am moving to NJ from May 2017. Do I need to submit a NJ w-4? What tax forms do I need to file in 2018?

    Thank you

    • admin says:

      It depends on if your new job is with a different employer then you may want to fill out a new W-4 form and a new state withholding form. This would be necessary since your new State (NJ) has an income tax. If you relocated but have the same employer you do not have to fill out a new W-4 form, but you may need to fill out a new state withholding form.

  55. Paula says:

    Hi I recently moved this month (April 2017) from Yonkers NY to NJ.How do that reflect on how I will be taxed on my paycheck and how do I file my 2017 taxes for next year?

    • admin says:

      Your work situation will determine your tax implications. If you earned income in NY then relocated to NJ, you may want to file a part year return for both states you lived in during 2017, assuming the state(s) collected income tax.

  56. Joanne says:

    I live in NJ. I have been offered a job with a company primarily based in NYC, although they have a NJ office (which is far from me). I will be traveling to NYC approximately once a week. The remainder of time I will be working from home. Is there any benefit to being identified as an employee in their NJ office as opposed to their NYC office? Practically speaking, I will be working 4 days in NJ and 1 day in NYC. Does it matter where they identify me as a resident employee for tax purposes? Thanks.

    • admin says:

      Hello Joanne,

      From what I understand, your resident state is New Jersey. Therefore New Jersey state will tax you on all income whereas your non resident state is New York and will tax the income earned in NY. You may use our website to prepare resident and nonresident returns as well as report Business Use of Home Expenses.

  57. Scott says:

    I live in NJ and work in NJ. My company also has an office in NYC. I travel there on occasion (meetings, corporate events, etc). What criteria does/should my company use to determine if I should be marked as ‘working’ in NYC? Someone told me that if I work more than 12 (8 hour) days there per year, then I am considered as a non-resident worker in NYC. Another person day 1/2 year + 1 day makes you a non-resident worker in NYC.

    Thank you!

    • admin says:

      Hello Scott,

      You will need to discuss the regulations of withholding NY tax from your income statements with your employer and payroll department. To have NY income tax withheld, you will need to have earned income in NY and be taxed on this income. To locate NY non-resident regulations you may go to this link for further information.

  58. SD says:

    I currently live and work in Texas but recently (June 2017) got transferred to a new role in NY. I will be physically moving my work location to NY only in August 2017. Further, I plan to stay in NJ. It will be really helpful if you could please help me understand my tax implications. Since I am going to physically take residence in NJ and start working in the NY office only starting August, is the NJ state tax going to be applicable to my income only starting August? Further, if my employer deducts NY state taxes for periods starting June 2017 (and if its applicable only starting August 2017), can I claim a refund? My employer has indicated that starting June 2017, they will be withholding NY State taxes (even though I have not physically relocated). Any answer to my query will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

    • admin says:

      You will need to file a Part-year NJ return and a Non-Resident NY return. Your employer will begin to deduct your NY taxes based on the date you started work in NY (June 2017). Since Texas is a tax-free state, you do not have to file a TX state return, however, you will not be able to receive a resident credit for taxes paid to NY. On a brighter note, you may be able to get a refund from NY if your State tax withholdings were higher than your NY state taxes.

      • SD says:

        Thank you, I highly appreciate your response. Just to clarify, I have not changed companies, I am just changing my teams and thus moving from my employer’s Houston office to their NY office. In your expert opinion, while my employer will start deducting NY taxes starting June 2017, when I finally end up filing my taxes for 2017, can I indicate that I physically relocated to NY in August 2017 and thus I am eligible for the refund of the taxes withheld for the two months of June and July? Again, I highly appreciate your response to my query! Thank you!!

  59. Patsy Guzman says:

    Hi: I live in NJ and will start working in NY, but the Company Headquarter is in .CA and checks will come from .CA. Which states I need to pay taxes? Also will need to be working at FL and Hawai for few days each monrh…so could you please explain me how do taxes will work? Thanks!

    • admin says:

      For which states you will be filing will be dependent on what your income statements will reflect in box 15 of your W-2. You will be able to determine exactly whether or not you will need to file non-residents or a resident state tax return from the information that your employer provides to you. It may be best to speak with your payroll department as to how they will be handling your taxes if you would like to know beforehand. This is so you can discuss with them on how you would like your state taxes to be handled.

  60. Thank you for this post, we are new to the blog world and trying to
    understand what attributes we want to put on our own blog
    and which to keep out. This list will sure help us to do the best for
    our own business.

  61. Andrea says:

    I am a Florida resident, but I work part-time in NewYork during the summer, and I work remotely during the winter. What form do I fill out for my employer? They are just as confused as me! Thank you.

    • admin says:

      As a non-resident earning income in New York, your income is subjected to taxes for the income that you earn there. Depending on how your income statement reports your income, you will have to file accordingly from the states that will be shown on your forms.

  62. Krisha says:

    I was a student in Philadelphia from Jan-May 2017 where I completed my studies in May 2017. I then went abroad till 25th June. 2017. I returned back and started job in NYC but lived in NJ from 25th June to 31st Decemeber 2017. So for the year 2017 which tax forms should I fill for the year 2017 for Pennsylvania, NYS and NJ?

    • admin says:

      You will only need to file tax forms for the states that you resided in during the income you earned in the year as a non-resident. If you only started earning income from NYC while you were a New Jersey resident, you will only need to file a New York non-resident and NJ resident state tax form.

  63. Vladimir says:

    I am a single parent of two. I live in New Jersey and work in New York. My tax return is saying that I owe NY state and I get nothing from New Jersey. Could this be right?

    • admin says:

      This result is possible. To avoid double taxation, you likely received a credit on your NJ return for taxes you paid to NY which brings your NJ tax liability to zero. Your NY employer most likely did not withhold any NJ taxes, therefore there is no NJ tax refund to get back. But if you still have a NY tax liability, that means your employer did not withhold enough NY taxes during the year (which may also mean your W4 needs adjustment).

  64. Helpme! says:


    In 2016, I worked in NYC the whole year.

    I lived in NJ for the first half of the year (Jan – June) then moved to NYC (July – Dec) I informed my employer and my W2 and info was updated accordingly.

    My W2 shows 100% of my income being taxed in NY with proper withholdings. It shows an additional 50% of my income being taxed in NJ with zero withholdings.

    For example
    Total Income on W2 $100,000

    NY – 100,000
    NJ 50,000 (for half the year i suppose)

    Is this correct?


    • admin says:

      According to New York law, NY employers are required to report equivalent amounts for Box 1 and Box 16 regardless of the actual portion of the wages being earned elsewhere. For example, if you earned $100,000 but only $50,000 was earned in New York, your W-2 will still list $100,000 in Box 16 for New York. When you are entering your W-2 to prepare your return, you may enter in Box 16 of the application the actual amount earned in New York ($50,000).

  65. nanoo says:

    I visit each day a few sites and blogs to read articles or reviews,
    however this web site provides quality based writing.

  66. R.H. says:

    I lived in NJ for most of this year while working in NYC. I now have temporary student housing in NYC, as a graduate student. Will I have to file NYC resident taxes for any income between now and Dec. 31?

  67. Chris R says:

    I’m finding conflicting guidance on my payroll taxes. My company has locations in both NY and NJ, I live in NJ but work 100% in NY. Should my employer withhold both NJ state tax and NY state tax from my pay? Can I ask them to only withhold NJ state tax?

    • admin says:

      This is solely up to your employer’s discretion, however, you can request that they withhold NJ State taxes for you even though there is no guarantee that they will.

      In your situation, if taxes are not withheld in NJ but in NY, you would be filing a New York non-resident tax return to allocate credit for taxes paid to another state on your NJ Full-year resident return. This is a non-refundable credit, so you will be paying taxes at the NY rate, however, you will be able to credit your NJ to reduce your resident taxes for taxes paid to NY.

  68. Kyle says:

    My wife worked in the Midwest and never stepped foot in NY but she was a partner at a professional firm that had offices in NY so I get that she had a tax liability for NY. My job however had no connection to NY. We just got hit with a tax delinquency notice for 2016 apparently because we didn’t pay NY taxes on my income. Can NY really do that?

  69. JW says:

    I am switching to 1099 from w-2 for 2018 and beyond. I plan on creating an LLC. I live in NJ, but 100% of the income will be earned in NYC where the company is based. Does it matter which state I create the LLC? I assume each state has its pros and cons, any advice? Thanks

    • admin says:

      If you establish an LLC in New Jersey or New York your tax situation changes. If you are living in New Jersey, you can file a Resident New Jersey state tax return and since you are receiving income from New York, you can file a Non-Resident New York state tax return. Your Resident state will tax all income earned and a credit will be allocated when filing a Non-Resident state return.

  70. Maggie says:

    I’m a nj resident and have accepted employment to work 100% remotely from nj with a nyc based company. How would my payroll taxes work out, based on nj or nyc?
    If I pay nyc taxes how to I file for credit and year end.
    Will be eligible for unemployment benefits from nj or nyc?

    • admin says:

      If you work remotely for a company that’s located in a different state than your resident state, you may be forced to file multiple state tax returns. You may need to file a resident and a non-resident state tax return. You will be eligible to receive a credit from NJ for taxes paid to NY. We can expertly prepare your state returns for you. Click here to get started today!

  71. MJL says:

    Hello! This is the post that keeps on giving. Apologies if you’ve answered this already, but one thing that continues to confuse me…

    Like many I live in NJ and work in NY. My employer only takes NY tax out of my paycheck, which is fine. But because my W2 only shows NY under State Wages, I’m always unsure about what goes on my NJ tax return as my gross income. My understanding is that I have to add my 401(k) employee contributions to the NY wages to get my NJ gross, but do I also add in my health insurance premiums (those are my only 2 pre-tax deductions)?

    And then, when I fill out the NJ worksheet to determine the ratio for credit, for the line that says “Income Properly
    Taxed by Both New Jersey and Other Jurisdiction,” where exactly do I get that from my NY return, and does it have to be adjusted at all? The NJ 1040 instructions leave a lot to be desired here.


    • admin says:

      We are happy to prepare your NJ resident and NY Non-resident returns for you. Click here to get started today. With our services, we will accurately allocate your resident credit on your NJ return for taxes that you paid to NY. This will prevent you from being double taxed.

  72. Ryan says:

    Hello I need your help please. I live in NJ and Work in NYC my employer did not take out NJ state taxes out of my check only NYC. Will I have to pay a lot to NJ? What can I do?

  73. Bob says:

    I live in NJ and work in NYC. I am divorced. I pay alimony to my ex from my NYC income. However, it seems that when calculating the state credit for NJ, it takes into account my income pre-alimony and so I only get a portion of the credit (ie. a person makes 200k, pays 50k in alimony. The taxed amount in NY is 150k, but they can only take 75% (150/200) of the tax paid in NY as a credit). Is this correct? Am I being taxed on my supposedly tax deductible alimony or am I reading it wrong and I am allowed to include my whole income on the “Properly taxed income in another jurisdiction” on schedule A?

    Thank you!

  74. Yuki says:

    Hi. I live in NJ and work in NYC.
    Can you tell me if I need to pay both NY and NJ taxes and they needed to be reported in W2 separately?

  75. Taxpayer says:

    Hello, Admin:

    I hope all is well. Could you please help me with this concern.

    I live in Yonkers, NY and will be working in Rutherford, NJ; I will be earning $76,960 a year. I have been using hourly calculator sites to figure out what my weekly net will be after taxes, but these calculators are not factoring in that I live in Yonkers, NY but working in Rutherford, NJ, so I can’t trust the calculator’s answer.

    Do you know how much I will be netting per week after taxes are taken out? I am filing single, and have no withholding(s), and no dependents. This will help a great deal if you can help me answer this.

    According to one site, working in NJ earning the aforementioned salary will net me $1040.64 per week, but it doesn’t take into account Yonkers RES tax, or NYS tax (am I missing anything NY related)? Please help. Thanks.

  76. James says:

    Hi! What if I have an address in NJ and NYC. I work in NYC but am between houses. My employer has my NJ address on file. Thank you!

  77. Patrice says:

    My husband has always worked in NY but we live in NJ. We’ve always filed non-resident for NY and it’s been fine. This year my husband worked for his NY company January – August. He then started working for a new company which is based out of NJ September – December. Do we just file the way we always have? When I went through turbo tax this year it says we owe to NY which in the past we’ve always received a refund.


    • Admin says:

      We are happy to prepare your NJ resident and NY Non-resident returns for you. Click here to get started today. With our services, we will accurately allocate your resident credit on your NJ return for taxes that you paid to NY. This will prevent you from being double taxed.

    • admin says:

      File a resident and non-resident return for NY as normal. Your Spouse may owe due to income earned, tax, and tax withheld.

  78. Laura says:

    Hi, I started working in NYC in August, staying at a friend’s house over the weeks, returning to Florida weekends (and few weeks through the months) where I still had my residency until end of November that I rented a place in NJ, but all along I was paying NY state taxes.
    Reading all the posts, what I gathered is that I have to file a non-resident for NY State, so they will refund the money in full that I was deducted since August,and what Im not sure is how do I file the NJ State taxes, if I became new resident only the last five weeks of the year. Is that consider part-resident?

    This is very confusing, would appreciate your help.


  79. SAN says:

    we have an employee that lives in NJ and works in NY. Our payroll company ADP says that in the employees tax set up we take NY state income tax and NY UI tax and no NYC tax. They then do the proper witholdings and payments due to an agreement between NY and NJ. I may be messing up exactly what they said. I am so confused, and want to make sure everything is set up correctly for our employee. The employee did receive two W2’s I am guessing one for NY and one for NJ.

    Can you please help me understand what the proper way of setting up the employee regarding tax withholding should be for his situation would be?

  80. Sarah says:

    Hi I Moved to New Jersey in July of 2018, and I work full time in NYC. I never changed my W-4 form nor anything other then my mailing address at work. I’m being taxed by NYC only, and on line 20 it states NYC Resident. Do I still have to file in NJ as a part year? or at all?

    • admin says:

      It’s recommended that you file a resident state tax return for the state you live in as well as a nonresident state tax return to the state you worked in and paid taxes to.

  81. ASM says:

    Hello, I lived in NJ during all of 2017, but worked in NYC for the first week of Jan 2017 – My employer (for whom I worked both in NYC and now in NJ) has listed the annual amount on my W-2 form – Am I expected to file all of it with both states, with NJ as resident, and NY as non-resident? And, will I receive credit?

  82. Dennis Bailey says:

    My daughter lives in NY but works in NJ. Form IT-112-R for obtaining the NY Resident Credit states to include on line 24 the Income tax paid to the non-resident state, and to not include tax on income that is taxed by the other taxing authority but is not taxed by NY.
    NJ does not allow a pre-tax deduction from wages for items like healthcare and commuter benefits, but NY does. Does this difference in any way impact upon the amount of NJ taxes I should report on line 24? I am thinking it shouldn’t, since the wages themselves are taxed both in NJ and NY, but with NY allowing the pre-tax deductions. In other words, without the pre-tax deductions, the taxable wage amount would be the same in both states.

  83. Stephanie W. says:

    I moved to NJ last October but still work in NY. Do i have to go to 2 different locations to file my income tax or can i do everything at one location? This is very confusing for me.

    • admin says:

      You could prepare both states using our website. However, if you were to go to a physical location(s), it would depend on whether or not their preparers specialize in NJ and/or NY returns.

  84. Tom says:

    My wife and I live in NJ and both are in our early 40’s. I work in NJ (low 6 fig.) and my wife works in NYC (low 5 fig.).

    For 2017 Tax report, which I prepared myself *proudly*, I filed jointly as Married Couple for both Federal, and NJ and NY. Based on your advise above, though, I should have filed Federal jointly and States separate. I didn’t know it was a possible thing to do. Bummer.

    Due to the high property tax in NJ, we are thinking about moving to NYC. I am thinking my annual total tax-out amount will be about the same (Paying High Property NJ Tax vs. Paying NYC Local Tax) assuming our work place stays the same and we buy the equivallent value apartment in the city. We don’t own cars now and won’t buy a new one any time soon. And we don’t have any exotic investments. Just regular old stocks, bonds, and 401Ks. Yes, sales tax in NYC is higher but we are very frugal anyway.

    Do you see any flaws in my thought process that moving to NYC is about the same as staying in NJ just from the annual total tax expense perspective?

  85. sanjay says:

    I live in NYC and working in NJ.Since Feb,18 i have paid tax for new york only but suddenly from May i found tax deduction from both state in my what should i do now ?HR said me to pick one state for taxation and asked to consult Layer to decide.

    May i have a proper advice that what i should do.I found that i am liable for jersey city tax and NYC tax as well in pay slip.

  86. Kegan says:


    My fiancé and I are considering a move from NYC to Jersey City, NJ. Both of us will continue to work in NYC, but reside in NJ.

    I understand that we will need to file non-resident in NY and file resident in NJ. However, will taxes from both states be deducted from our paychecks every 2 weeks? Will we not see that money again until refund?

    Will we be paying NJ Unemployment?

    Aside from the cost of living, we are trying to evaluate if the tax savings are worth the move. Thanks!

  87. Treshon Tipton says:

    Hi I just recently located to NJ but my job is in New York. Will I have to pay taxes in both states or am I applicable for the IT-2104/IT-2104-E.

  88. HN says:

    hi –

    I just moved from NY to NJ but still work in NY effective October 1, 2018. I am confused as to whether I need to file any tax forms now so that my employer can adjust my salary withholding (e.g. W-4, NJ-W4, IT-2104, IT-2104.1 etc…)


Leave a Reply