Home Blogs How to File Your 2015 Tax Return

How to File Your 2015 Tax Return

Filter by Category:
How to File Your 2015 Tax Return

Forgot to file your 2015 tax return? Let’s get you caught up.

Sometimes, procrastination gets the best of us and we fall behind. It happens. Most procrastination-fueled situations can be resolved. There’s no exception when it comes to filing your late 2015 taxes.

Can I still file a 2015 tax return?

April 18th, 2016 marks the tax filing deadline for 2015 taxes . The good news? You can still prepare your tax return after the deadline and mail it to the IRS. The bad news? If you owe additional tax for 2015, you may be faced with penalty fees. If you forgot to file by the deadline, you will be responsible for the failure-to-file penalty. You will be liable for the failure-to-pay penalty if you didn’t pay the IRS on time. These will be explained further in a few.

Can I prepare my 2015 taxes online?

You missed the filing deadline. That doesn’t mean you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to your tax preparation. You also won’t need to dip into your savings to afford it. You can still prepare your taxes online which happens to be inexpensive and pretty easy.

All you need to do is follow these 5 steps.

  1. Create an account with PriorTax. Make sure to select 2015 from the drop down menu.
  2. Enter your tax information. You’ll want to have all W-2 or 1099 forms that you received from your employer(s) handy.
  3. Submit your account.
  4. Wait for review. Our team of tax pros will thoroughly review your 2015 return, contacting you with any issues or oversights.  
  5. Print, sign and mail your return. After review, your 2015 tax return will be made available for you to download as a pdf. You can print this out. Sign it. And head on down to your local post office.

Have questions along the way? Reach out to our tax team by phone or livechat! It’s really THAT simple.

Can I still claim a 2015 tax refund?

If you’re expecting a refund from the IRS, unfortunately, you can no longer claim your refund. The IRS has a three-year statute of limitations in place. This means April 18, 2019, was the last day to claim your refund. 

How do I calculate the failure to file penalty?

So you made a mistake by not filing your 2015 tax return on time and paying your tax liability. Now you have to deal with it. Lesson learned. Here’s what the damage will be:

      • You will pay an additional 5% of the tax amount owed for every month your return is late. This will max out at 25%.
      • If 60 days have passed since the due date, the minimum penalty fee will be the lesser of $135 or 100% of your unpaid tax.

And for the future, never decide not to file because you know you don’t have the money to pay your tax due amount. The failure to file penalty will do more damage to your piggy bank than the failure to pay penalty will. So when in doubt – file now, pay later.

How do I calculate the failure to pay penalty?

The failure to pay penalty is not as steep as the failure to file penalty but it can still nudge you the wrong way. Here’s the breakdown:

      • You will pay a penalty of ½ of 1 percent of your unpaid taxes for each month or part of a month after the due date. This starts accruing the day after the tax-filing due date.

Get started on your 2015 tax return today!

Now that you’re aware of the repercussions (or if you just forgot to file) of filing your 2015 tax return late, you can stop worrying and get started. Create your account today and get it out of the way!


53 Responses to “How to File Your 2015 Tax Return”


  1. Susan tresco

    Please help me with my 2015 taxes I have 1 dependent. Phone number. 320.217 8715.home phone

    • admin

      We will be happy to prepare your 2015 income tax return for you. Please click here to get started. If you need additional assistance with your return, do not hesitate to contact a customer service representative on 1-877-289-7580 (Mon – Fri between 10:00 am – 5:00 pm EST). We can also be reached via live chat.

  2. Sharon D Gleen

    I had a tax preparer to e-file my 2015 taxes….how can I check on it

    • admin

      You will have to call the IRS on 1-800-829-1040 and follow the prompts for a live representative. The person that you speak with will have direct access to your tax return and be able to provide you with a status update. If you recently filed your 2015 return, the IRS ask that you allow at least 6-8 weeks after mailing your return before you call to check on a status.

  3. Beth

    I filed my 2015 taxes on Feb 6 2017. How long does it take to get my refund

    • admin

      If you file a complete and accurate paper tax return, your refund should be issued in about six to eight weeks from the date IRS receives your return.

  4. Beth

    How long will it take to get my 2015 refund if I filed March 2017?

    • admin

      If you file a complete and accurate paper tax return, your refund should be issued in about six to eight weeks from the date IRS receives your return.

  5. Yasser

    What are the steps for 2015 tax refund?

    • admin

      Hello Yasser,

      To check the status of your 2015 tax refund, please contact the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040.

  6. Rita Sanchez

    I filed taxes 2015, but I need to know where do I have to send my documents. I expect receive a refund and I live in Miami Florida. Thanks in advanced. What is Atlanta GA 39901. Is the right place?

    • admin

      Hello Rita,

      Please visit the IRS website to find your IRS mailing address.

  7. Ken

    I dont know if i messed up. But I filed my taxes already this year with my W2’s. Those were from when I was working in October of 2015 to april of 2016. But this year I did them. I’m trying to get help financially in school but they need my Tax transcript form 2015. But I guess I didn’t do my taxes. I had given them the ones form 2016. So I just want to know what I can do. I really need the help. Please if you can contact me ASAP

    • Ken

      Also I already got my refund but I don’t expect to get one for the year 2015 or when I file them. I don’t know I’m confused

    • admin

      You will have to file a 2015 tax return to obtain a Tax transcript from the IRS.

  8. Cynthia A Austin

    ? omg…these guys are great..they just helped me with my 2015 taxes because I forgot to file..and..the good news is..I get a refund..All I got was the run around from the IRS..said everything was online..it is, but it’s so difficult to understand. And not user friendly..I highly recommend these guys…Thank you..??

    • admin

      Thank you for your awesome feedback. We highly appreciate you as a customer and look forward to being of continued service.

      • Ashley T

        I know this post was almost a year ago I know it be will along shot if I get a reply but did you get your prior year refund if so how long did it take ?

        • Manisha Hansraj

          According to the IRS, it takes the minimum of 6 weeks to receive your prior year tax refund. In order to find out the status of your prior year refund, contact the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040.

  9. Kasike

    I just found out that my 2015 taxes were not filed, I have the paperwork all filled out, I just am not sure where to mail everything out too. Can you help?
    I am a Wyoming resident, they are the 2015 returns and I am due a return.

    • admin

      This IRS website will list out all of the mailing addresses to send in your federal return for Wyoming residents.

  10. Monique

    I sent in my 2015 taxes April 20 2017 but I checked where’s my refund tool and it says it can’t provide any information. Does it work for prior years? Cause for some reason my husband filed his 2015 and it shows and the status bar says received

    • admin

      It would be best if you contacted the IRS to inquire about the status of your return, their contact number is 1-800-829-1040. They will be able to inform you on the progress of your return.

  11. Heidi Garcia

    I had a problem in 2015 where I couldn’t file my taxes I’m due for a refund but can’t get any information on it I made it in 5 weeks ago and still don’t have anything on it can someone explain this to me..
    Thank you .
    Heidi Garcia

    • admin

      If you have already filed your 2015 return, you must contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for further updates. It’s best to call in within a weeks time to see if they have received it before you wait the processing time of 6-8 weeks. Only after they have confirmed with you that they have received it, is when you can put your mind at ease.

  12. K. Ditto

    Filed 2015 taxes after filing and receiving my 2016 taxes. IRS sent a letter asking that I call them to verify that it was actually me filing. They thought someone was trying to file for 2016, even though I prepared everything on the 2015 forms. Called and verified identity and got the issue cleared up two weeks ago. I am due a refund. Does the six week count down start over, and will they do the direct deposit or mail me a paper check?

    • admin

      For prior tax years, if you are due a refund, they will be mailing you a paper check. As to whether or not the processing time was extended due to you have to verify your identity, you will need to speak with them on this matter.

  13. mBY


    • admin

      You may have to report your state income tax refund you received for your 2015 return on your Federal income tax return for 2016 if your itemized your deductions on your 2015 federal return.

  14. major williams


    • admin

      You can contact the IRS on 1-800-829-1040 to determine if you filed your 2015 income tax return. If you did not file your return, you can go to to get started with this process.

  15. Michelle

    Yes, I have already read all of the previous Q&A and they are all very insightful.

    However, I actually have 2 questions:

    Q 1: Is it possible that 2015 income taxes filed in 2017 will NOT take the entire 6-8 weeks allotted for returns? More specifically, a federal refund? Yes, I understand that this response is standard (6-8 weeks), but is 6 weeks the shortest time that the refund could be recieved by mail?

    Has anyone experiences shorter times?

    Q 2: This year’s filed taxes (2016) was the first ever that my husband and I actually got to claim his daughter from a previous marriage, my step-daughter. Although, we do not qualify for earned income credit, we were given a little more (in credit) than we would have gotten back without claiming her. Anything helps.

    Their divorce decree clearly states that the two, my husband and his ex-wife, are to alternate years on clamining the minor child. Yes, I have the legal documents. He is to claim odd years, she claims even years. However, 2016 taxes received in 2017, was the first time the system did not ‘kick’ my step-daugher’s social security number back, she has always been claimed by the mother, illegally. ****We claimed 2014, 2015 and 2016 due to change of custody in a court of law****

    I know she, the mother or ex-wife, is responsible for repaying the years that she was not legally entitled to, but how do I go about informing the IRS? When calling, their numerical department system is fairy difficult to navigate to the correct place. Also, my recent tax preparer isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, as the ole’ saying goes.

    Meanwhile, we have had full custody of our child for over 3 years. The biological mother or has not even had a phone call or visit with her, at her own command, yet 2 of the 3 years she lied when stating she’d, “had the child in her custody 6 months or more” as legally asked on filing taxes, obviously.

    Please, help?

    Also, I am definitely going to use this service next year when filing our taxes! Of all the sites I’ve googled for answers, this is without a doubt the most helpful, insightful, knowledgeable and with quick responses. To me, a price cannot be put on good customer service and with answers to everyday, common folk questions. Thank you!

    • admin

      The standard time allocated to processing a prior year tax return is 6-8 weeks. Therefore, you must allow this time for the IRS to complete this process.

      Generally, the non-custodial parent can only claim the child as a dependent if the custodial parent grants permission on form 8332 or if it’s stated in the divorce decree. If the non-custodial parent does not adhere to this sequence of claiming the dependent, you can file an amended return to claim your dependent and your ex-husband will have to repay the IRS. This will allow you to receive the tax benefits of claiming the dependent. Although painful, it is recommended that you contact an IRS agent (1-800-829-1040) for additional assistance regarding your tax situation.

      We appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to being of service to you in the future.

  16. Kelly

    When it says “Wait for review. Our team of tax pros will thoroughly review your 2015 return, contacting you with any issues or oversights.”
    How long does that take?

    And how long will it take for my return to be made available to me as a pdf?

    • admin

      It generally takes one business day for our tax professionals to review, prepare and deliver a PDF copy of your income tax return. If this time has elapsed, kindly contact a customer service representative on 1-877-289-7580 (Mon-Fri between 10:00 am – 5:00 pm EST) for additional information regarding the status of your return.

  17. Nikki

    forgetting to file in 2015, and doing it now, does this raise suspicion with the IRS? We’re in a situation and need 2 years income tax for proof of income but is needed before 2017 tax season. Our own fault but had to ask?

    • admin

      Filing a return that is late, is not a matter of suspicion. The IRS at any time can request that you file prior year taxes if you did not submit specif years in and they have no records of your income earned for that year. If you are missing your income statements for 2015, it would be best to contact the IRS for further assistance, as well as requesting from them an income transcript. This transcript is a record of your income earned that was reported to the IRS for that specific year.

  18. Chris

    I FedEx’d my 2015 taxes just a few days ago. I’m not worried about receiving a refund immediately, but does the same 6-8 weeks apply just for processing?
    The reason I ask is that I’m getting ready to close on a home loan, and my lender is requesting just the proof of filing.

    • admin

      The IRS requires that you allow 6-8 weeks for processing paper-filed returns. You can request a transcript of your filed return from the IRS for proof that your return has been filed. However, this is only available after your return has been processed. I advise you contact an IRS representative to determine what you can use for proof of filing.

  19. Mariah

    I filled my taxes as soon as i received my w-2 from my job in 2015 but i didn’t know that i would receive a form from the labor board from money that was sent to me as back pay, now i need to file it but what i need to know is do i use the regular 1040 form or the 1040x form

    • admin

      Hello Mariah,

      If your prior year tax return (2015) was already filed and accepted by the IRS, making changes and including new information requires you to file an Amendment on Form 1040X.

  20. ASH

    So I obviously did not file my 2015 taxes and I am requesting student aid, and its going to take 6 to 8 weeks as I’ve read and I don’t have much time before the semester starts( all of this being my fault of course). I called and they told me I needed to file for an extension but the IRS told gave me a letter that turned out not to be a sufficient document for fasfa’s verification. So my question is will they give me an extension so I can file them when I do the upcoming 2017?

    • admin

      Hello Ash,

      Unfortunately, the extension deadline has passed and 2015 has become a prior tax year. Therefore, you must paper file all prior year tax returns. This will take additional time. Perhaps you can visit your local IRS office for further assistance. The 2018 tax season is coming soon. Start your 2017 tax return as early as January 1st, 2018 on our website. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.

    • admin

      Hello Ash,

      Unfortunately, the extension deadline has passed and 2015 has become a prior tax year. Therefore, you must paper file all prior year tax returns. This will take additional time. Perhaps you can visit your local IRS office for further assistance. The 2018 tax season is coming soon. Start your 2017 tax return as early as January 1st, 2018 on our website. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.

  21. Keandrea

    Unfortunately I didn’t file my 2015 or 2016 taxes because I didn’t make as much to file I recently filed my 2017 taxes along with my 2015/2016 tax returns did I make a mistake will I get penalized for filing old returns on my 2017 taxes??

    • admin

      In some cases, you do not have to file based on your income. If your income exceeds the IRS limit, you will be required to file a return. Visit the IRS website for more details. If you have a tax due and you filed late, you are responsible for any late fees and penalties. Please clarify what you mean. You must file a tax return for each tax year separately based on the income for that specific year.

  22. Tiaa

    Can you file 2 different w2s separately. Meaning I have to file 2015 and 2017. Can I file my 2015 tax return send it off and then file my 2017 and send it off?

    • admin

      Mail each year’s tax return separately to the designed IRS address.

  23. Cassey Filut

    I never got my W-2’s in 2015 so I never filed for that year. How do I get my W-2’s from 2015?? Need help ASAP thank you!

  24. ashley


    Not sure if this site will be able to answer my question but keeping my fingers crossed. I had an independent contractor who is requesting their 2015 1099. We’ve had some computer changes so I do not have the electronic copy but I do have a physical copy, however, it is in a warehouse which makes getting it very difficult. Does anyone know what my obligation is to provide this document from 3 years ago?


  25. Evy

    I filed for 2015, 2016 and 2017all on the sane day, electronically a few weeks ago– the 2017 refund is in process but no news on 2015 and 2016. would 2017 get processed before the prior years?

  26. Becky

    Filed my 2015 taxes on dec 7, 2018. Can’t find any information by calling the number or going online. What other number can I call?

    • Manisha Hansraj

      Hi Becky, the IRS takes within six to eight weeks to process your paper filed return. We advise you give a call to the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 since you filed a prior year return. You will need to have your social security number available and your tax information when you get in touch with a representative so they can give you updated information on your refund.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*

Don’t Miss Any Updates

Sign up with your email to receive latest updates.