Blog Home

April 17th, 2018 is the Last Day to Claim your 2014 Refund!

Posted by on January 16, 2018
Last modified:

Don’t delay your 2014 refund.

Your 2014 refund is waiting for you. Luckily, the IRS allows you to claim your refund due to their convenient Statute of Limitations. However, you have three years from the original tax deadline date to claim your tax refund. With that in mind, if you wait three years after the filing deadline, your refund will expire. On top of that, if you fail to claim your refund, the IRS will collect it and you will no longer be entitled to your refund.

That sounds like a waste, doesn’t it? Read to find out what you need to do in order to claim your 2014 tax refund.

Can I still E-file?

You cannot e-file your tax return since April 15th, 2015 was the last day to e-file your 2014 tax return without an extension, and October 15th, 2015 was the last day to e-file with an extension.

Since the e-file deadline has passed, your 2014 tax return is now considered a prior year return. Due to this, the IRS requires you to paper file your return. This means that you must physically sign and mail your tax return. For the tax year 2014, here are some important deadline dates to remember.

  • April 17th, 2018 is the last day to claim your 2014 refund.
  • October 15th, 2018 is the last day to claim your 2014 refund if you filed an extension on April 15, 2015.

Before filing, you can figure your refund by using our 2014 Tax Calculator for an estimated refund amount.

I’m ready to file, now what?

First, ensure that you have the correct personal information that is displayed on your social security card for yourself and anyone else listed on your tax return. You will then need to organize all of your income statements whether it is earned or unearned income. Then, you will need to gather proof of your expenses. Keep in mind that documentation of your expenses is important, even if you aren’t itemizing your deductions. They must be qualified expenses and you will need receipts in case the IRS requests this information. Overall, here’s what you need to report on your tax return:

  • W-2 (Wages, Tips, and Salaries)
  • 1099-MISC (Self-Employment or Miscellaneous Income)
  • Tax statements (summary)
  • Schedule K-1 Forms 1065 or 1120 (Income from a partnership, small business or trust)
  • W2G (Gambling winnings)
  • 1099-C (Cancelled Debts)
  • Cash payments etc.
  • SSA-1099 (Social Security)
  • RRB-1099 (Railroad Retirement Benefits)
  • 1099-R (Retirement)
  • 1099-G (Government Payments)
  • 1099-INT (Interest)
  • 1099-DIV (Dividends)
  • 1099-B (Bonds)
  • 1099-S (Stocks)

If you have lost or misplaced your W-2 statement, you will need to contact your employer. Otherwise, if you do not have access to any income statements, you can contact the IRS directly or visit the IRS website and request an IRS income transcript via mail or online.

Follow Three Easy Steps:

Generally, taxpayers go to an accountant to prepare their tax return. Although, with PriorTax you can finish a self-prepared return online within the comfort of your own home in as little as 10 minutes. Above all, you can avoid hefty fees and receive free basic tax advice, unlike other tax options. Follow these easy steps to claim your 2014 tax refund.

  1. Create an account or sign in with your username and password if you already have an account with PriorTax.
  2. Enter your basic information, income, deductions, credits and state information.
  3. Submit your account to us for us to prepare a PDF of your finalized tax return.

After you print, sign and mail your return, the IRS typically takes six to eight weeks to process your refund. Once the IRS and/or state accepts your return and approves your refund, they will mail your refund as a check via mail. We advise that you double-check that your mailing address is up to date.

Amended Returns

If you have already filed a 2014 tax return and would like to make changes for additional expenses that could lead to a higher refund, you will need to file Form 1040X. Your amended 2014 return needs to be mailed by April 17, 2018, unless if you filed for an extension, whereas the deadline would be October 15th, 2018. PriorTax can help you prepare your 1040X even if you didn’t use our services last tax season.

Update: For extension filers, if you are subject to an extra refund as a result of your amended changes, you will need to contact the IRS for further information to determine if you will be able to receive your refund. Taxpayers have contacted the IRS to retrieve their income when they have postmarked their return on April 17, 2018, but have been told that it is past the deadline, due to falling after the three-year statute of limitations although it has been stated here.

Bottom line is, file before it’s too late.

April is right around the corner so mark the 17th on your calendars. Unless you want your refund to go to the IRS, we advise that you file now. PriorTax will help you get a move on your taxes within just 10 minutes so you can get your hands on your refund!


April 15th, 2018 is the Last Day to Claim your 2014 Refund!

Tags: , , , , ,

17 Responses to “April 17th, 2018 is the Last Day to Claim your 2014 Refund!”

  1. SBarnes says:

    Does the statute of limitations apply if you owe taxes for 2014? Does the debt go away with the IRS?

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      Hello Shaunta,

      The statute of limitations only applies to refunds. If you have a tax due to the IRS, there are two penalties attached such as the failure-to-pay penalty and the failure-to-file penalty. The debt does not go away with the IRS since you are subject to interest and penalties for each month your tax due is unpaid. Click here for more information on IRS penalties.

  2. RIYAZ says:

    I was not aware of 17th April 2018 deadlne and missed my 2014 returns. Is their any extension is given to this date or any alternative way to claim my returns?

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      Unfortunately, there is not an extension given to claim your 2014 refund since the three-year statute of limitations for refunds has passed. You may still file your 2014 tax return, however, you cannot claim your refund. The only exception would be if you filed an extension during the 2014 tax season. If you did, then you will be able to claim your refund until the October extension deadline.

  3. saravana says:

    I filed the tax from india for 2014 .My employer was from MA but my home and employment was in NC .so I paid NC tax from my account and applied a refund from MA but it got rejected .I am back to USA last month will i be able to get my refund now

  4. Hanabb says:

    I filed my 2014 on April 14th 2018 It’s been almost 3 months now and it still says I have no record of recieving my amendment. It says it only takes 3 weeks to show that it is recieved online on the irs amendment return. Is there a delay? Is anyone else having problems with thier 2014 amendment?!!?!!?!!??!!??

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      We advise that you contact the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040 in order to receive updated information on your 2014 amended return.

  5. Adam says:

    I filed my 2014 business taxes on April 16 and mailed it next day mail on the 17 th of april. my accountant said I was ok by mailing it by the 17th. Waited for 3 months and called the IRS and they told me I missed it by a few days. This site and many others are telling me it was due by the 17th of april. what do i do ? I was sick those days and am so mad at my accountantfor not knowing the due date . Who is right ? can anyone tell me and how I can argue this?
    Thanks adam

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      Hello Adam,

      Thank you for reaching out to us. The IRS states that the law requires taxpayers to properly address, mail and ensure the tax return is postmarked by the tax filing deadline, which was Tuesday, April 17.

  6. Amélie says:

    Thanks for all this informations !!

  7. Craig says:

    I am in the same boat as you. Mailed on 17th and they told me it was too late. The deadline is April 17th. Here is the article on the IRS website for proof.

  8. Jasom says:

    Hey I filed my 2014 tax return on April 17 2018, received my nc state check for 1014 but I still haven’t received my federal tax return for 2014. I can’t find my paper work with my federal tax return total and now am still waiting for the return. How come I’ve received my state 2014 return yet not my federal? Both were sent the same date. What can I do to find out about my federal? Anyone else have this issue

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      We advise that you contact the IRS directly to find out the status of your 2014 tax return. Contact the IRS by calling 1800-829-1040 for information on prior year returns.

      • John says:

        The same thing happened to me. I filed my 2014 ammended return on April 17,2018. I received my State refund but not my Federal so I called them and they said that I didn’t file by the 17th so I sent in the proof and they said the deadline was the 15th. This is very frustrating because I have gone back and forth with them for months and now I have to file an appeal.

  9. Taxdodger123 says:

    I filed my 2014 amended return over the 3 year statute of limitations. Even though there is a refund I know I will
    Not be receiving it. If I owe tax and have a bill with other years, can this refund be applied to the bill??

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      Typically, the IRS will take your eligible refunds and apply it to any tax debt you currently have. However, if your refund expires, it simply goes back to the IRS and cannot be applied to any of your tax debt. We advise that you set up an IRS installment agreement to pay your tax due to avoid extra penalties and interest.

  10. Greg says:

    I have a 2014 refund that the IRS keeps dening becuase it arrived on 4/22/2018 but was postmarked 4/17/2018

Leave a Reply